• Impact Player: Dolphins cornerback Dimitri Patterson intercepted Tom Brady’s first pass of the day, cutting in front of tight end Rob Gronkowsk i. The Dolphins took over at the Patriots’ 40-yard line and converted the early turnover into a 7-0 lead.
• Highlights: Miami’s defense suffocated the Patriots early, allowing them to run just 10 plays and possess the ball for only 3:35 in the opening frame.
• Lowlights: Receiver Brandon Gibson, who caught a touchdown earlier in the quarter, injured his left knee while trying to catch a high pass from Ryan Tannehill. After limping to the sidelines, Gibson was carted to the locker room. He will miss the rest of the season.
• Impact Player: Running backs Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas combined for 11 carries and 77 yards in the quarter, leading to 10 second-quarter points and keeping Brady on the sidelines. The Dolphins possessed the ball for more than 19 minutes in the first half.
• Highlights: The Patriots’ offense was consistently disrupted by the Dolphins’ defensive line. Jared Odrick notched a third-down sack in the quarter and the unit stopped New England running plays in the backfield four times in the first half.
• Lowlights: Despite completing 11 passes in the first half, Tannehill totaled just 72 passing yards in the first half. His only deep pass attempt was dropped by tight end Charles Clay.
• Impact Player: Patriots running back Stevan Ridley, who didn’t play at all in the first quarter, rushed for 44 yards on five carries in the quarter.
• Highlights: With Gibson sidelined with a knee injury, wide receiver Rishard Matthews was asked to play a larger role than normal. Matthew’s 20-yard catch was the Dolphins’ longest play to that point in the game.
• Lowlights: In just one minute and 46 seconds, the game changed completely. Brady threw a 14-yard touchdown pass after kicker Caleb Sturgis missed a 46-yard field goal attempt. On the ensuing drive, Tannehill turned the ball over on a sack and fumble, allowing New England get in the end zone again and tie the score at 17.
• Impact Player: With the Dolphins in New England territory and down 20-17, Patriots safety Devin McCourty broke up a Tannehill pass along the sidelines, tipping the ball back inbounds to teammate Marquice Cole. The Patriots scored a touchdown on the ensuing drive.
• Highlights: On a third-and-23 play with 4:45 remaining, a screen pass to receiver Mike Wallace gained 25 yards.
• Lowlights: Defensive end Olivier Vernon was called for a controversial penalty for batting a loose ball backwards after a sack-fumble on Brady, causing a 32-yard swing in field position and bailing the Patriots out of what would have been a third-and-29. New England finished the drive with a Ridley 3-yard touchdown run.