Gulliver Prep swept the District 12-2A meet at Marian Krutulis Aquatic Center.
The girls’ team captured nine titles, including all three relays, to tally a commanding 1,075.5 points. Freshman Brooke Ellis won the 200-yard IM and 100-yard fly. Sophomore Namilla Sanchez finished first in the 200-yard freestyle and 500-yard freestyle.
“This is probably the strongest girls’ team we’ve had here probably in a decade,” coach Jeff Poppell said. “We’re excited about it. I like where we are now.”
Though the boys’ team didn’t finish first in any of the 12 events, it took the district title for the third consecutive year with “good, solid depth,” according to Poppell. Six seniors lead the squad, which lost three swimmers from last year’s team.
Five swimmers from other schools notched multiple district championships.
Like the girls’ competition, one person dominated the 200- and 500-yard free — Doral Academy sophomore Alex Arrieta.
A pair of St. Brendan boys’ swimmers won two races — junior Zuhayr Pigot in the 100-yard butterfly and 100-yard freestyle, and senior Wayne Denswil in the 200-yard IM and 100-yard breaststroke.
For the Sabres girls’ team, senior Brienne Renfurn took the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard backstroke with her fastest time (59.70) on the latter. Doral Academy sophomore Alex Arrieta placed first in the 200-yard freestyle and 500-yard freestyle.
The Ferguson girls’ volleyball team defeated Southwest 28-26, 25-21, 25-18.
Annika Reczek led the Falcons with 12 kills, three blocks and four aces. Gabriela Beverly registered nine kills and three aces. Juliette Hamilton had 22 assists and three aces.
Ferguson improved to 21-5 on the season and will take on Lourdes for the district championship at Braddock on Friday at 7 p.m.
• District 15-8A semifinals - Ferguson d. Southwest 28-26, 25-21, 25-18: Annika Reczek 12 kills, 3 blocks, 4 aces. Gabriela Beverly 9 kills 3 aces. Juliette Hamilton 22 assists 3 aces. 21-5.
• District 15-4A semifinals - Ransom d. Carrollton 25-16, 25-13, 25-18: Nikki Colonna 10 kills, 3 blocks, 3 aces, 18 assists. Caroline Sklaver 8 kills, 2 blocks, 17 assists. Sophie Bullard 7 kills. Sydney Bent 6 kills, 2 blocks. RE 24-3.
• District 16-4A semifinals - Gulliver d. Florida Christian 25-23, 25-19, 25-16: Caro Mengotti 7 kills, 5 aces, 11 digs. Stephanie Potter 14 digs, 1 ace. Lauren Potter 7 kills, 7 digs, 1 ace. GUL 14-12.
• Late Tuesday — District 14-8A - Hialeah d. Hialeah Gardens 25-13, 25-15, 25-17: Nahir Navarro 3 aces,14 kills ,23 digs. Stephanie Pardo 8 kills, 4 blocks. Anicia Jonhson 3 aces, 6 kills, 2 blocks, 16 digs. Janeliz MArtinez 39 assists, 2 aces. HIA 16-4.
• Late Tuesday — District 15-4A - Carrollton d. St. Brendan 24-26, 25-17, 25-19, 19-25, 15-12: Adriana Rovirosa 17 kills. Gabriela Socarras 16 kills, 4 aces. Manuela Fernandez 28 digs, 4aces.
The MAST Academy girls’ soccer team defeated Goleman Wednesday afternoon.
The game was called off at halftime because of inclement weather conditions, and the Makos ended the night with a 6-0 victory.
Mariana Speckmaier dominated the field by scoring four goals and handing out two assists. Speckmaier made the all-county team last year as a freshman and has yet to accomplish other recognitions.
“She’s absolutely amazing; it’s nothing I’ve ever seen,” said coach Ossie Morales, who has coached at MAST Academy for 15 years.
Joanna Gomez recorded a goal and an assist, and Sheridan Plummer scored one goal.
“A lot of these girls are club players, so they have experience that works in our benefit. Yet we still need to work on chemistry and bonding because coaching a group of girls is tough work,” Morales said.
• Elsewhere: The South Miami girls’ soccer team defeated Central 4-0.
Giselle Schreiber was unstoppable for the Cobras with two goals and one assist. Madison Askew scored two goals, and Karen Arze registered two assists.
• MAST d. Baraba Goleman 6-0: Mariana Speckmaier 4 goals 2 assists. Joanna Gomez 1 goal 1 assist. Sheridan Plummer 1 goal. MAST 2-0.
• South Miami d. Central 4-0: Giselle Schreiber 2 goals, 1 assist. Madison Askew 2 goals. Karen Arze 2 assists
• Late Tuesday — South Dade d. Mater Academy 7-0: McKenzie VanHeusen 3 goals,1 assist. Thalia Leal 2 goals. Brittany Larosa 1 goal, 1 assist.
The Miami Christian boys’ bowling team defeated Belen 7-0.
Brothers Jeffrey and Alex Yaniz led Miami Christian (9-3) with games of 210 and 247, respectively.
Alex Yaniz also scored the high series of the game with 682.
• Miami Christian d. Belen 7-0: High Games Jeffrey Yaniz (MC) 210, Alex Yaniz (MC) 247. High Series: Alex Yaniz (MC) 682. MC 9-3.
Norland vs. Booker T. (Traz), 7
Varela vs. Braddock (Tropical), 7
Coral Park at Coral Gables, 4
Miami High vs. Columbus (Curtis), 7
South Miami vs. Miami Beach (Memorial), 7
Palmetto at Southridge, 7
Hialeah Gardens vs. NMB (N. Miami), 7
Westland vs. Hialeah-Miami Lakes (Milander), 7
Highlands Christian at Barrington Christian (Harris), 7
Keys Gate at Somerset, 3
SFC first round: La Salle at Calvary Christian, 7
SFC first round: Archbishop Curley at Coral Springs Charter, 7
SFC consolation: Benjamin at Florida Christian, 7
SFC consolation: Ransom at St. Andrews, 7
District 14-8A final at Miami Beach: 7
District 16-8A final at South Dade: 6
District 16-7A final at Reagan: 7
District 15-6A final at Miami Springs: 7
District 15-4A final at La Salle: 7
District 15-3A semifinals at Sagemont: Doctors Charter-South Florida HEAT winner vs. Somerset-Sagemont winner, 5; Miami Country Day vs. Dade Christian-Curley winner, 7
District 16-3A final at Palmer Trinity: 7
District 14-2A final at Sheridan Hills Christian: 6
District 15-2A final at Miami Christian: 7:30
District 16-2A final at Princeton Christian: 6
District 15-4A at Larry and Penny Thompson Park – Girls: 2:30; Boys: 3.
District 16-3A at Larry and Penny Thompson Park – Girls: 4:30; Boys: 5.
District 15-2A at Mills Pond Park – Girls: 3; Boys: 3:30.
District 15-1A at Westminster Academy – Girls: 4; Boys: 4:45.
Central vs. Carol City (Traz), 7:30
Miami Springs vs. Mater Academy (Milander), 7:30
Southwest vs. Ferguson (Tropical), 7:30
Northwestern at Belle Glade Glades Central, 7:30
Mourning vs. American (N. Miami), 7:30
Jackson at Monsignor Pace, 7:30
Edison vs. Homestead (Harris), 7:30
Sunset at Belen, 4
Coral Springs Christian at Dade Christian, 7:30
Naples Golden Gate at Archbishop Carroll, 3:30
District 15-8A final at Braddock: 7
District 16-4A final at Ransom: 7
District 15-3A final at Sagemont: 7
District 16-4A at Larry and Penny Thompson Park – Girls: 8 a.m.; Boys: 8:45 a.m.
District 16-2A at Larry and Penny Thompson Park – Girls: 9:30 a.m.; Boys: 10:15 a.m.
District 16-1A at Greynolds Park – Girls: 2; Boys: 2:45.
SWIMMING AND DIVING
District 11-1A at Nova Southeastern University: 11 a.m.
South Dade vs. Killian (Tropical), 7
Reagan vs. North Miami (N. Miami), 7
Krop vs. Hialeah (Milander), 7
Key West at Westminster Christian, 1
Zion Lutheran at Palmer Trinity, 1