NC poverty program suspended because of federal shutdown

 

Raleigh News & Observer

North Carolina on Monday suspended its Work First program, formerly known as welfare, because of the federal shutdown in Washington.

County social service agencies stopped processing new applications for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families because federal monies are expected to dry up by November unless Congress can reach a deal for funding the federal government.

The Department of Health and Human Services sent out a letter Thursday to county social service directors telling them to stop processing new applications as well as re-certifications for November.

“We will be unable to make any Work First Family Assistance payments in November 2013 unless a continuing resolution or compromise on federal funding has been reached by the federal government,” wrote Wayne Black director of the division of Social Services.

Those who are already signed up for the short-term assistance program will receive their October checks.

TANF is the second major federally funded social services program in North Carolina to feel the effect of the government shutdown. Last week, DHHS became the only such state agency in the country to suspend its federally funded food program for low income mothers and babies – called the WIC program – only to reverse itself when the state budget director Art Pope said there was money available.

The only state that has withheld TANF checks since the shutdown is Arizona. But after her administration was sharply criticized for not tapping into the state’s rainy day fund, Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, redirected $650,000 in state funds to keep the program going through October.

Officials in Michigan have warned that funding for their TANF program would soon run out.

There are 20,709 North Carolina residents in the TANF program – 6,948 parents of dependent children and 13,761 children who live with someone other than a parent. In September, the program cost $4.7 million in federal funds in North Carolina.

The state started the Work First program in 1995 after Congress passed welfare reform. The program provides short-term training, cash, child care referrals and other services to help parents become employed, and it usually provides assistance for only two years.

Read more Politics Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Oregon Senate candidates push dueling narratives

    Democratic U.S. Sen. Jeff Merkley wants to talk about taxes and the middle class. His Republican rival, Monica Wehby, would love to talk about the federal health care law.

  •  
This April 29, 2005 file photo shows Rep. Troy Woodruff,  R-Vincennes in Indianapolis.  Woodruff, who's faced an ethics investigation of land purchases that benefited his family,  is leaving the Indiana Department of Transportation department.   Woodruff sent an email to agency employees on Wednesday, July 30, 2014,  saying that he would step down Thursday.   (AP Photo/The Indianapolis Star, Charlie Nye)  NO SALES

    Indiana ethics law faulted after official cleared

    Troy Woodruff knew his family's sale of nearly 3 acres of prime land near an Indiana highway project he oversaw as a top state transportation official would raise eyebrows. He did not disclose the sale even though the agency's ethics director recommended he do so.

  • Dem chair to US House nominee: he should withdraw

    The head of Mississippi's Democratic Party says he has advised the party's nominee to pull out of the 1st District congressional race because exaggeration of his military service — calling himself a "Green Beret veteran of Desert Storm" when he was a food service worker at Fort Bragg during the 1991 campaign in Iraq — has cost him support.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category