Host Deerfield Beach broke open a close game with 29 unanswered points in the second quarter as it rolled to a 53-8 victory against Piper in the District 11-8A game on Friday night.
Aeron McNeal and Brandon Powell were the workhorses once again. They combined to rush for 212 yards and scored four touchdowns as Deerfield Beach (6-0, 4-0 district) rolled to its sixth consecutive victory.
Powell rushed for 139 yards on six carries and scored on runs of 25 and 65 yards. He also caught three passes for 46 yards. McNeal added 73 yards and two scores, and quarterback Danarious Graham scored twice on runs of 11 and 4 yards.
“The kids wanted the goose egg and the shutout, but unfortunately they didn’t get it,” said Bucks coach Allen Jackson, whose team will travel to Monarch next week to take on the undefeated Knights (7-0, 4-0) for first place in the district. “We are going to have to bring our ‘A” game next week. They are a good team.”
The last time Deerfield Beach started the season 6-0 was in 2007 when it finished 11-3 and lost 19-14 to the eventual state champion, Miami Northwestern.
• Monarch 44, Taravella 28: It took a while for Monarch to find its footing — but once it did — it played like a team that’s undefeated at this point in the season.
Shawn Burgess-Becker caught two touchdowns and Calvin Ridley accounted for another pair of scores, as Monarch (8-0, 4-0 in 8A-11) beat Taravella (2-4, 2-2) in a district contest Friday night.
The Knights trailed by two scores at the end of the first quarter, but the Trojan’s lead wouldn’t last long.
• Douglas 42, Coral Glades 7: Quarterback Brett Israel was 11 of 15 for 220 yards and dished out four touchdown passes at Coral Glades.
For Douglas (3-3, 1-3 District 11-8A), Davian Daley rushed five times for a total of 92 yards and a score. Tate Lehito caught four passes for 76 yards and two touchdowns.
Ryan Allison and Corey May each added a receiving score.
• Westminster Academy 49, Ransom Everglades 19: Quarterback Joe Vairo accounted for five touchdowns as the Lions (6-1) stormed past Ransom Everglades. Vairo was 6 of 10 passing for 220 yards and three touchdowns. He also added two rushing scores.
South Plantation 19, Coral Springs 13: Michael Mele threw two touchdowns to Richard Darius as the Paladins held off Coral Springs. The Paladins (4-2, 3-1 11-8A), rushed for 190 yards on 31 carries, and Justin Bain scored on a 5-yard run.
Archbishop McCarthy beat Palmetto in five-set thriller 25-22, 26-24, 13-25, 18-25, 15-12.
The Mavericks (15-8), had trouble putting Palmetto away. After taking the first two sets the Mavericks dropped two consecutive sets and found themselves in a winner-take-all final set where they made it out on top.
Grace Balcazar led the way for McCarthy with 11 kills and four blocks. Halle Mayne added 10 kills and four blocks, and Brooke Wilder registered 11 kills, nine digs and three points.
• Archbishop McCarthy d. Palmetto 25-22, 26-24, 13-25, 18-25, 15-12: Grace Balcazar 11 kills, 4 blocks. Halle Mayne 10 kills, 4 blocks. Brooke Wilder 11 kills, 3 points, 9 digs. AMC 15-8.
• University School d. Summit Christian 25-9, 25-15, 25-15: Kaela Fennell-Chin 10 kills. Christina Serrato 6 kills. US 5-15.