IN THE CAMPS

U.S. reviewing cases of dozens of Guantánamo prisoners

 
 
In this file photo, a detainee is escorted by military police at Guantanamo Navy Base, Aug. 26, 2004 in Guantanamo, Cuba.
In this file photo, a detainee is escorted by military police at Guantanamo Navy Base, Aug. 26, 2004 in Guantanamo, Cuba.
MARK WILSON / GETTY


crosenberg@MiamiHerald.com

The Obama administration has begun reviewing for the possibility of release dozens of prisoners held at Guantánamo Bay without charges as part of renewed effort to close the prison, the Pentagon said Wednesday.

None of the parole-style hearings have been held yet with the prisoners, said Army Lt. Col. Todd Breasseale, a Pentagon spokesman. But representatives of different federal agencies, including the National Intelligence Directorate and the Departments of State and Homeland Security, will be reviewing the cases of up to 71 men, including 46 the U.S. previously currently classifies as too dangerous to be released.

As of Wednesday, the Pentagon held 164 men at the U.S. Navy base in Cuba, including six currently facing death-penalty war crimes tribunals and three who have been convicted of war crimes. Seventeen Guantánamo prisoners were on hunger strike Wednesday, none hospitalized and none with life-threatening conditions, said Navy Cmdr John Filostrat, the detention center spokesman.

In May, as the hunger strike spread to more than 100 prisoners, President Barack Obama renewed his vow to close the prison. He ordered it shut within a year of taking office but Congress imposed restrictions that slowed releases to a trickle.

The process is to decide “whether continued detention of certain detainees held at Guantánamo Bay remains necessary to protect against a continuing significant threat to U.S. national security,” a Defense Department statement said.

The Pentagon said that, because some of the information used by the panels involves national security issues, information about the Periodic Review Boards will be released to the public through a new website at an undisclosed date.

“Postings will include milestones in each detainee’s case, unclassified information associated with the PRB hearings, and the results of the detainee reviews,” the statement said. “This website is currently under development and is projected to become operational later.”

Breasseale said the announcement Wednesday signaled that, even before the hearings, the Periodic Review Organization “has been stood up,” meaning the Defense Department has assigned individuals to the cases.

Breasseale said the hearings at the U.S. Navy base in southeast Cuba could begin in the first week in November.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Algerian Djamel Ameziane, a 42-year-old ethnic Berber, has been approved for release but wants to go to Canada, or another country, rather than the nation he fled in 1992. His lawyers have chosen Canada because he lived there for five years, and filed a failed application for political asylum. From Canada he went to Afghanistan, where he was captured in the U.S. invasion.

    IN THE COURTS

    Ex-Guantánamo detainee can’t get his money back

    Federal judge concludes a former Guantánamo detainee may no longer be a threat, but his money is.

  •  
The Kremlin.

    Russia bans congressman, 12 other Americans

    Russia has placed a U.S. lawmaker and 12 other people connected with the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq on its list of those banned from entering the country.

  •  
In this image from video, Eugene R. Fidell, the lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday, July 16, 2014, in an interview with The Associated Press that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

    Bergdahl hires lawyer for military investigation

    The lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category