Recess was cut short at a Cutler Bay preschool Tuesday after teachers smelled gas from a nearby leak.
The gas leak happened about 10 a.m. at a construction site on Old Cutler Road near 97th Avenue when a backhoe hit an active gas line, a Miami Dade Fire Rescue spokeswoman said.
Part of Old Cutler Road was temporarily closed.
None of the surrounding homes were occupied so firefighters did not evacuate any residents.
At nearby Cutler Ridge United Methodist Church school, the smell of gas lingered in the air. Teachers sent students inside as a precaution.
Firefighters took gas readings of the area and deemed it safe.