Gas leak cancels recess at Cutler Bay preschool

Recess was cut short at a Cutler Bay preschool Tuesday after teachers smelled gas from a nearby leak.

The gas leak happened about 10 a.m. at a construction site on Old Cutler Road near 97th Avenue when a backhoe hit an active gas line, a Miami Dade Fire Rescue spokeswoman said.

Part of Old Cutler Road was temporarily closed.

None of the surrounding homes were occupied so firefighters did not evacuate any residents.

At nearby Cutler Ridge United Methodist Church school, the smell of gas lingered in the air. Teachers sent students inside as a precaution.

Firefighters took gas readings of the area and deemed it safe.

Read more Miami-Dade stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category