NFL | Super Bowl

Sources: Dolphins bidding to host Super Bowl in 2018

 

The Dolphins have formally applied at the NFL meetings to host Super Bowl 52 and are waiting to hear if they are a finalist.

WEB VOTE Which Dolphins offensive lineman should be replaced immediately?

abeasley@MiamiHerald.com

Could Miami be Super again?

If the Dolphins have their way, yes — in 2018.

League sources have told the Miami Herald that the Dolphins have formally applied to host Super Bowl 52 at this week’s NFL fall meetings, held in Washington.

Team owner Stephen Ross will learn if the Dolphins are a finalist for the 2018 game, which would be held at Sun Life Stadium, by Wednesday.

If so, the team will present a formal bid to the league, likely with the help of the area’s Super Bowl committee and local officials.

Roughly a half-dozen cities are expected to apply, including Tampa. From that pool, two or three finalists will likely emerge, kicking off a months-long formal bid process.

If this all sounds familiar, it should. The Dolphins just went through this exact same routine — without success.

They were finalists for both Super Bowls 50 and 51 in the spring but lost out when the team’s stadium renovation plan died in the Florida statehouse.

The Dolphins pushed hard for local and state subsidies for their $350 million stadium plan, even calling on NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to lobby Tallahassee.

After the Dolphins lost out to San Francisco and Houston for the games in 2016 and 2017 in May, Goodell praised Miami’s proposal, but also said, “I think it is the stadium at the end of the day.”

This raises the question: Is this application the start of a renewed bid for public dollars?

Despite still-strong political opposition, Ross appears undaunted. Last month, Ross told reporters that he’s prepared to improve on his 2013 offer to the public.

Before Florida House Speaker Will Weatherford declined to put the matter up for a House vote in May, Ross pledged team and NFL dollars for about 55 percent of a proposed $350 million renovation, with Miami-Dade and Florida contributing yearly tax dollars to fund debt on the rest.

“I offered the best deal that’s ever been offered by an owner of a professional sports team,” Ross said in September.

As for Super Bowls, the Dolphins’ position has been to aggressively pursue them, whether or not their stadium is improved.

Even after the renovations deal fell through in the spring, they still went through the bid process. Their argument: bringing the nation’s biggest sporting event to South Florida benefits the community in many ways, not the least of which economic.

Miami has hosted 10 of the first 47 Super Bowls — tied with New Orleans for the most in history. The game was last held in South Florida in 2010.

Read more Miami Dolphins stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin in the fourth quarter against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013.

    IN MY OPINION

    Armando Salguero: Joe Philbin optimistic about Miami Dolphins despite skeptics

    Joe Philbin welcomes a visitor with a warm smile and firm handshake and for the next 30 minutes enthusiastically talks about his Dolphins with a confidence that belies the coach’s first two seasons in Miami.

  •  
St. Louis Rams seventh-round draft pick Michael Sam listens to a question during a news conference at the NFL football team's practice facility Tuesday, May 13, 2014, in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

    IN MY OPINION

    Greg Cote: Michael Sam is a distraction to embrace, not avoid

    It’s no surprise that Tony Dungy’s comments this week about Michael Sam — comments that on the surface seemed more benign than inflammatory — have created such a national tempest. Sports are a Petri dish for argument and debate under any circumstances, and when you add the politics of religion and gay issues to the mix, the chances of a quietly civil discussion have pretty much left the building.

  •  
<span class="cutline_leadin">building block:</span> Left tackle Branden Albert, above, 

will be the team’s replacement for Jonathan Martin.

    Miami Dolphins’ offensive line is new; time will tell if it’s improved

    The Dolphins’ offensive line, which allowed 58 sacks last season, will have four new starters – and center Mike Pouncey could be out until October. ‘We’ve got a lot of work,’ new left tackle Branden Albert said.

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category