Death toll reaches 53 in day of violence in Egypt as police turn on Brotherhood protesters


McClatchy Foreign Staff

A day set aside to celebrate the Egyptian military turned into scenes of bloody violence Sunday as Egyptian security forces opened fire on demonstrators sympathetic to the Muslim Brotherhood in a sign of how the once powerful group has become the target of official repression.

The Health Ministry announced that at least 53 people were dead, but the toll had changed throughout the night and was expected to go higher. At least 32 of the deaths took place in Cairo and the adjoining city of Giza, where 246 people were injured. Deaths were also announced in the cities of Beni Suef and Minya. The ministry did not say where eight of the deaths had occurred.

The Ministry of the Interior, which oversees the police and security forces, said that 423 people had been arrested in Cairo and Giza and it blamed the violence on Brotherhood supporters attempting to crash pro-military rallies called to mark the 40th anniversary of the start of Egypt’s last war with Israel. The military-backed government had warned in a statement from Ahmed El-Mosalamani, the presidential spokesman, that anyone protesting against the military on Sunday would be considered an “agent” conspiring against the state.

But it was an open question whether the Brotherhood demonstrators had done anything to provoke the attacks. Earlier on Sunday, two McClatchy reporters witnessed police openly beating Brotherhood demonstrators, without provocation, not far from the main pro-military rally in Tahrir Square in central Cairo.

The two reporters, who had left the pro-military demonstration to cover the Brotherhood protest, were pounced on by security officers, who struck one on the neck with a night stick, stole both reporters’ cell phones and camera, and threatened to haul one away.

The abuse ended only after the reporters proved they’d been at the pro-military rally by producing a poster of Defense Minister Gen. Abdel-Fattah El-Sissi, the military head who engineered the ouster of President Mohammed Morsi in July.

There was no sign of Brotherhood provocation. The beatings took place well away from the crowds that were celebrating the military, and McClatchy reporters witnessed police officers throwing rocks at the protesters. Some protesters jumped into the Nile River to take refuge.

Residents nearby also played a role, refusing to give Brotherhood sympathizers shelter as they sought to flee the security forces’ onslaught.

When police spotted the reporters watching what was taking place, a police officer struck a male McClatchy reporter in the back of his neck and stole his phone from his pocket. He then stole the phone and camera of a second correspondent.

“Screw your mother,” the officer told the reporters.

The beatings apparently had the approval of higher ups. Near Tahrir Square, two officers appeared with broken night sticks. Their commander asked what happened.

“We beat Brotherhood,” the officers responded.

The gunfire took place elsewhere, apparently as Brotherhood protesters assembled to march toward Tahrir Square from Cairo’s Garden City district and Giza’s Dokki district.

Police reportedly fired tear gas to disperse the marchers, then opened up with live ammunition. An Associated Press photographer reported that he had seen at least nine bodies on the floor of a clinic in Dokki. All had been shot in the head.

The deaths recalled several other Brotherhood demonstrations where protesters were killed, overwhelmingly by gunshots to the head and chest. In the most notorious incident, security forces stormed a sit-in that had been set up to protest Morsi’s ouster. More than 1,000 people may have died in that attack.

The deaths of Brotherhood supporters stood in sharp contrast to the scene inside Tahrir Square, where tens of thousands gathered to celebrate the anniversary of the 1973 war, which ended in Egyptian defeat but that is hailed here for having led to Israel’s agreement to return the Sinai Peninsula to Egyptian control.

At least a dozen tanks and armored vehicles were deployed at the entrances to the square, the iconic plaza where pro-democracy demonstrations nearly three years ago drove Hosni Mubarak from the presidency.

Smiling and laughing, thousands passed through checkpoints with metal detectors to demonstrate their support for the military, whose toppling of Morsi ended the administration of Egypt’s first democratically elected president. If the crowd found the location ironic, that realization didn’t dampen their enthusiasm, as the ululating trills of women and the boisterous cheers of men celebrated the return of military rule.

Everywhere inside the square the atmosphere was nationalistic. Egyptian flags and kites bearing the Egyptian colors flew overhead. People cheered, whistled and passed out cookies and candy. Posters of El-Sissi were everywhere.

Military helicopters flew overhead and a military band kept the crowds entertained. Meanwhile, dozens of people passed petitions urging el-Sissi to run for president. “Finish your favor,” the petition read, a reference to the millions of people who flooded Cairo’s streets in June urging Morsi’s removal from office.

There were more signs that the military was continuing its efforts to erase whatever changes had taken place during the year-long Morsi reign. Retired Field Marshall Mohammed Tantawi, who Morsi fired as head of the army in the first weeks of his administration, appeared in public Sunday night for the first time since his dismissal at a ceremony in a military-owned stadium marking the war anniversary. El Sissi and the transitional president el-Sissi named to replace Morsi, Adly Mansour, were also present.

Ismail is a McClatchy special correspondent. Twitter: @aminaismail

Read more World stories from the Miami Herald

South Korean rescue team members on a boat sail to rescue missing passengers believed to have been trapped in the sunken ferry Sewol near the buoys which were installed to mark the vessel in the water off the southern coast near Jindo, south of Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, April 20, 2014. After more than three days of frustration and failure, divers on Sunday finally found a way into the submerged ferry off South Korea's southern shore, discovering more than a dozen bodies inside the ship and pushing the confirmed death toll to over four dozen, officials said.

    Prosecutor says 4 ferry crewmembers detained

    A South Korean prosecutor says four more crewmembers from a sunken ferry have been detained on allegations of failing to protect passengers.

South Korean Coast Guard officers try to rescue missing passengers from a sunken ferry in the water off the southern coast near Jindo, south of Seoul, South Korea, Thursday, April 17, 2014. Fears rose Thursday for the fate of more than 280 passengers still missing more than 24 hours after their ferry flipped onto its side and filled with water off the southern coast of South Korea. (AP Photo/Yonhap) KOREA OUT

    Fears rise for missing in SKorea ferry sinking

    Strong currents, rain and bad visibility hampered an increasingly anxious search Thursday for 287 passengers still missing a day after their ferry flipped onto its side and sank in cold waters off the southern coast of South Korea.

South Korean rescue helicopters fly over a South Korean passenger ship, trying to rescue passengers from the ship in water off the southern coast in South Korea, Wednesday, April 16, 2014. A government office said the  passenger ship carrying about 470 people have sent a distress call off the southern coast after it began tittering to one side.

    2 dead after ferry sinks off South Korean coast

    Dozens of boats, helicopters and divers scrambled Wednesday to rescue more than 470 people, including 325 high school students on a school trip, after a ferry sank off South Korea's southern coast, killing at least two and injuring 14, officials said.

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category