1. South Florida is getting more soggy weather after heavy rains and flooding in Kendall, Pinecrest and the Falls area. More rain is expected Thursday afternoon, with less of a chance Friday and through the weekend. Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Karen has formed in the Gulf of Mexico.
2. A showdown before Miami commissioners is likely after the Miami zoning board paved the way for a Walmart in Midtown Miami. The zoning board denied an appeal by activists to stop the giant retailer from moving into the neighborhood.
3. More than 30 people and businesses in Florida have been busted for selling protected wildlife illegally online. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission conducted the five-day operation with federal and state agencies. "Operation Wild Web" netted more than 60 arrests — 33 of them in Florida alone.
4. The Florida Panthers open the hockey season Thursday night against the Stars in Dallas.
5. The effects of federal shutdown on Day Three are being felt in the South Florida medical research field as dollars dry up without a spending agreement in Congress.