North Miami-Dade County

Sewage spills continue, closing several popular water spots in North Dade

 

crabin@MiamiHerald.com

Miami-Dade County has closed several popular North Dade recreational areas after a sewer line burst Sunday night on Island Boulevard in Aventura, sending a quarter-million gallons of raw sewage into storm drains.

County officials who have already determined the sewage made contact with surface waters, closed to the public a beach at Oleta State Park, Dumfoundling Bay, Maule Lake, and part of the Intracoastal Waterway between Haulover Beach and the William Lehman Causeway.

Before reopening the popular boating and swimming areas to the public, the county’s health department and the Department of Regulatory and Economic Resources must show that two consecutive daily tests of those waters are below contamination levels considered dangerous to the public.

The first test at Oleta on Monday passed, said Samir Elmir, who directs the county’s Department of Environmental Health and Engineering. Results of a second test taken Tuesday won’t be ready until Wednesday, Elmir said.

“Oleta State Park met the standard,” said Elmir, whose department is in charge of testing on public beaches.

The other sites will undergo testing by the Department of Regulatory and Economic Resources.

Water and sewer department spokeswoman Jennifer Messemer said results weren’t yet available for sites other than Oleta. She said there will be no changes to the boundaries that have been closed until Wednesday at the earliest.

Messemer said the latest spill was contained by Sunday night and by Monday the ruptured 18-inch main and roadways the water had damaged, had been repaired. She called the closings, “precautionary.”

“It was in the street. Sewage made its way into a storm drain. We were then able to determine it made contact with surface water,” she said.

The spill is just the latest in a series that have plagued Miami-Dade the past three years. Earlier this year the county agreed in principle to a negotiated settlement with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Justice that calls for $1.6 billion in repairs to rusted pipes and faulty water treatment plants over the next decade. To help pay for the bonds the county was forced to increase water rates to the public.

The federal agencies contend the county has not abided by the federal Clean Water Act. Since 2010, the county’s decrepit sewer lines have ruptured more than 65 times, spilling close to 50 million gallons of raw sewage into waterways and streets.

In all, the county plans on spending upwards of $12 billion over the next 15 years to fix its problems.

Read more Miami-Dade stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category