WAR COURT

Judge denies bid to stall 9/11 case at Guantánamo

 

Associated Press

Legal proceedings against five Guantánamo Bay prisoners charged in the Sept. 11 attack should go forward, a military judge ruled Tuesday, rejecting a bid to put the case on hold until the Pentagon resolves computer network security concerns.

Army Col. James Pohl said the steps announced by Pentagon officials to address concerns raised by the defense are adequate to keep pretrial hearings moving for the five prisoners charged with orchestrating the terrorist attack.

The defendants are facing trial by military commission at the U.S. base in Cuba on charges that include nearly 3,000 counts of murder, terrorism and hijacking for their alleged roles planning and aiding the worst terror attack on U.S. soil. They face the death penalty if convicted.

Pohl heard three days of testimony in August at Guantánamo about security fears that prompted defense lawyers to stop using government email and servers for confidential legal work. Lawyers said data disappeared, emails went astray or were improperly sent to the prosecution, and private legal research was subject to monitoring.

Prosecutors said the concerns were overblown, but Defense Department officials agreed to address the complaints in the coming weeks.

James Connell, a lawyer for defendant Ammar al-Baluchi, said the main issues have not been resolved and the defense teams are still using external hard drives and personal email for sensitive case work.

“From our perspective, nothing has changed as of today,” Connell said.

Nevertheless, Pohl determined enough progress had been made to move forward with a case that has repeatedly stalled over legal and political issues since the five men were transferred to Guantánamo from secret CIA prisons overseas in September 2006. The next round of pretrial hearings is scheduled to begin Oct. 22. A trial date has not been set.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category