• STARTUPS ON STAGE: The TechCocktail Miami Mixer & Startup Showcase will be at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 1, at Miami Dade College. Vote for your favorite pitch. More info: refreshmiami.com
• KNOW YOUR COPYRIGHTS: SCORE Miami-Dade presents “Copyrights — Every Business Has Them” covering copyright protection with in the U.S. and abroad, registration and other topics, 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 1, at Miami Innovation Center, 1951 NW 7th Ave., Miami. $30. Info: miamidade.score.org (click on Local Workshops).
• LST HUB NETWORKER: The tri-county life sciences and tech networking group hosts its monthly Miami gathering from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct 2, at Fado Irish Pub & Restaurant at Mary Brickell Village.
• PATENT TALK: Broward SCORE presents “Intellectual Property, Patents and Trademarks,” 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 2, at Keiser University in Fort Lauderdale. $30. More info: browardscore.org (click on Local Workshops)
• ALL ABOUT PR: Broward SCORE presents “PR Buzz on a Budget,” 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 3, at Ikea in Sunrise. More info: browardscore.org (click on Local Workshops)
• OPEN COFFEE CLUB: The regular morning gathering sponsored by FIU’s Pino Global Entrepreneurship Center and MapYourStartup.co will be from 7:30 to 9 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 3, at Venture Hive in downtown Miami. More info: entrepreneurship.fiu.edu
• HAPPY HOUR: Tech Swizzle holds its second happy hour event connecting the tech, arts and music communities on Friday, Oct. 4, at 6 p.m. at The LAB MiamiI. More info: http://techswizzle.com/
STARTING GATE BLOG
Boca-based health-tech startup Cohealo, now with 19 employees, raised $1.15 million in seed funding and its service is now in more than 40 hospitals. Awesome Foundation received a Knight Foundation grant to expand its own micro-grant program. TigerDirect announced its second annual free tech fair -- at Marlins Park. Read these stories plus guest columns by Robert Hacker, Ric Herrero and Bob Nagro on the Starting Gate blog on Miamiherald.com/business.
Nancy Dahlberg @ndahlberg