Condo Line

$25 mistake blows up to $700

Q. We are 75 and 76 years of age and live on a fixed income. We are having a major problem with our HOA. It has placed a fine of $25 for an error we made in payment of our fees. The board placed a lien on our property that amounts to $700 (+), all of which is legal fees except for $25. We are getting by on our income. We tried to pay the $25 to clear the shortage but the HOA refused it and told us to pay the attorney. Can you advise us how to clear up this mistake?

G.Y., Bonita Springs

Send a letter to the attorney and copy the board and explain your financial situation. Ask if it would accept a payment plan for the $700. Chances are that the board may refuse but it may allow you a short time to collect the needed funds. My guess is that the board sent you a letter about the shortage of the fee payment. That was your chance to correct the error. Do not delay on contacting the attorney and the board. If you fail to take action, the board will start foreclosure and you will lose your home.

Q. In a HOA, if you have a husband and wife on the board, does their vote count as one or two?

H.K., Fort Lauderdale

The condominium act restricts two residents from the same unit from serving at the same time. The HOA act is silent on this situation. However, I urge members not to elect a husband and wife to the same board in a HOA. In an annual meeting they would have one vote between them. If elected, in a board meeting they would vote as directors, not owners, and they would each have a vote.

Q. I read that if the board uses a reversal for anything but what it was allocated for, then this is a felony. Our local police will not help as they are too busy with identity fraud . Can you help me?

G.S., Hallandale Beach

Unless the directors use the funds for personal use, it should not be considered a crime; instead it would be considered an improper use of funds. Reserve accounts are the property of the owners and can only be used for the line item for which they were collected. Unless members vote to move or transfer the reserve funds, the board should not use the funds.

You have several courses of action: You could write the board a letter and ask it to replace the funds and discuss the matter at the next board meeting. You could report the matter to the state division, but you need proof of the improper use of the reserves and you will need to put your complaint in writing and sign it. Or you could recall the board. If you take this action, I suggest you engage an attorney. The most obvious course of action is to elect a new board at the next annual meeting.

Q. I am a caretaker of a friend who lives in a condominium. This is considered an adult community. Since I sometimes stay overnight when my friend is ill, the board has asked me to register as an occupant. Why should I register since I do not live here nor I am an owner?

G.H., St. Petersburg

All associations and condominiums have different rules and regulations as well as different documents. If an association or condominium asks visitors or new residents to register, there could be any number of reasons. Maybe it has a rigid security program, maybe it has concerns that an underage person will be residing in the unit and affect their adult community status. Maybe it needs to review all residents who live in the community. I would suggest that you have the owner contact the board and find out what you need to do.

Write to Condo Line, Richard White, 6039 Cypress Gardens Blvd., #201, Winter Haven, FL 33884-4115, or e-mail Include name and city.

Read more Home & Garden stories from the Miami Herald

This impressive and rather rare vase was made in England by a company that was founded in 1820 to make utilitarian items out of stoneware.


    How old is this vase from my great-grandfather?

    Q: Attached are photos of a vase that once belonged to my great-grandfather. It is marked “Coulton, Burslem” and is decorated with painted poppies and a three-dimensional dragon. It is marked with an emblem with a crown on top and the number 1922. It is 221/2 inches tall. Would it be possible for you to tell me how old it is and the approximate value?

A native ladybug on a firebush in Terri Stephens’ yard.


    The gardener and the ladybugs

    A citizen-scientist documents the ladybugs in her South Dade yard for a research project.

This patio was made from salvaged Moroccan tiles and the fountain made from an old clawfut tub and a kitchen sink.


    Look to Morocco for decor that is luxurious, powerful

    Morocco. Simply saying the name inspires images of an exotic and exciting location. I don’t know of a single other place in the world that has that same effect on me.

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category