Miami Herald | EDITORIAL

Back to the drawing board

 

OUR OPINION: After court setback, Miami Beach must get convention-center project back on track — quickly

HeraldEd@MiamiHerald.com

Not so fast, said a state appeals court last week to Miami Beach, which was finally on the cusp of redeveloping its convention center. Of course, nothing has been fast or easy throughout the city’s decade-long struggle to construct a facility to attract the big-ticket conventions that are finding more-alluring accommodations just about anywhere but here.

With less than two months to go before Beach voters were going to say yea or nay to renovating the convention center — subsidized in part by the hotel bed tax — the Third District Court of Appeal wiped the referendum off the ballot. It ruled that the city has to present voters with more detailed terms of the $1 billion proposal first.

After more than 10 years of trying to make a bigger convention center a reality to attract high-end conventions, the City Commission must now propel itself with a sense of urgency. San Diego and Orlando are eating our lunch.

That said, the process still will not be an easy one, especially if the goal is to hammer out the details of a contract and lease agreement with New York-based developer Tishman, chosen in July to build the complex that will also feature a hotel, parking and retail, in time for a special election in spring 2014, as City Manager Jimmy Morales foresees. The hurdles are high, but not insurmountable.

If, as Mayor Matti Bower told the Editorial Board on Tuesday, Tishman “will be here” instead of running for the hills, then it’s imperative that the city and developer flesh out who pays for what and how much revenue the city is guaranteed from leasing the land. This is what the court said voters need to know going in, and this is what the city should provide as part of the ballot language. There is a letter of intent between the city and developer to move forward. Not good enough, the court ruled.

Hurdle No. 1, however, is the upcoming election with three seats up for grabs. Incumbents gave Tishman the nod, but several opponents prefer a scaled-down version of a center. Skepticism about a project that has been vetted publicly cannot be allowed to derail a revamped center. Already, conventions are tentatively booked for 2016 and 2017 on Miami Beach. It would be egregiously irresponsible to turn them away.

Hurdle No. 2? There remains on the November ballot a question to increase to 60 percent from a simple majority the number of votes needed to award an extended lease for the convention center and surrounding areas.

Keep in mind, last year, 67 percent of Miami Beach voters approved increasing hotel taxes an additional 1 percent to help pay the Beach’s share of the $1 billion. In all, about $600 million in public funds would go to build the convention center, paid with a mix of hotel and property taxes from the city and Miami-Dade County. But if voters approve a 60-percent threshold, that would lead to . . .

Hurdle No. 3: The courts will then have to decide whether the 60-percent rule applies retroactively to the Tishman project. In fact, city officials asked the court for a decision, citing previous legal cases and prior city practice involving the uncontested auction of city property in North Beach about 10 years ago. That’s when the court pivoted, threw out the referendum and didn’t rule on the original question.

Miami Beach must come back from this setback, by acting swiftly and responsibly — and with the urgency the quest for a new convention center demands.

Follow the Editorial Board on Twitter at HeraldOpEd

Read more Editorials stories from the Miami Herald

  • Miami Herald | EDITORIAL

    Winners and losers in Tuesday’s election

    OUR OPINION: Needed: Candidates for public service who are people of accomplishment, ability and vision

  • The Herald recommends

    OUR OPINION: Go out and vote: Here are our recommendations in Tuesday’s primary:

  • Worth a thousand words

    The Miami Herald Editorial Board shares the viewpoints of cartoonists from across the country in this Saturday feature called “Worth a Thousand Words.”

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category