Power outage cancels sailing for new Royal Princess

 

hsampson@MiamiHerald.com

Princess Cruises’ newest ship suffered a power outage over the weekend that forced the company to cancel the rest of a 12-day Mediterranean voyage.

With nearly 3,600 passengers aboard, Royal Princess lost power for about three and a half hours on Sunday as it sailed between Mykonos and Naples. Passengers were about a week into their trip, which started on Sept. 15 in Venice. A backup generator was used for crucial functions, including toilets, during the outage.

Princess, which is part of Miami-based Carnival Corp., said in a statement that the cause of the power loss is under investigation, but the problem appears to be with an electrical switchboard.

After power was restored, the ship continued to Naples; passengers are expected to remain on the ship Tuesday night and should depart Wednesday on flights arranged by the cruise line. The remainder of the cruise had to be canceled so repairs could be made, Princess said.

Passengers will receive a full refund and a 25 percent credit on a future cruise. Still unclear is whether the ship will be able to leave on its next scheduled trip, set to depart Barcelona on Friday.

Royal Princess, which launched earlier this year, is scheduled to arrive in Fort Lauderdale in late October. The ship will sail the Caribbean from Port Everglades through April.

Read more Just In! | Travel News stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
A woman scans a tag next to Hodge the Cat statue at the launch of Talking Statues in central London.

    England: London statues want to talk to you

    Can we talk?

  • Travel briefs

    Yellowstone National Park is giving visitors to the park this fall a heads up on some significant road construction work that will result in long detours.

  • Air travel

    US changing no-fly list rules

    The Obama administration is promising to change the way travelers can ask to be removed from its no-fly list of suspected terrorists banned from air travel.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK



  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category