The modern, lesser incarnations of the Fort Lauderdale Strikers and New York Cosmos met Saturday at Lockhart Stadium for first time since 1983. Id rather watch the originals play. I mean now, with all the guys in their 50s or older.
The Texans Arian Foster admitted he got paid while playing at Tennessee. OK, this is getting ridiculous. Lets start assuming all college football players get paid and make it newsworthy only if they dont.
Steelers safety Troy Polamalu agreed to get his first haircut in a decade, for charity. Based on what Ive seen of Pittsburghs first two games, his team would rather he agreed to get his first interception.
• The Browns traded away top running back Trent Richardson. Cleveland fans normally dont give up on the NFL playoffs until mid-October but can beat the rush this season.
• A shoulder injury will sideline Mark Sanchez an estimated eight weeks. Ah, lets be safe and make it 10 to 12, suggested Jets fans.
• A Russian football team called Moscow Black Storm has offered Tim Tebow million to play two games. That reminds me of the old saying: Throwing good money after bad quarterback.
• WNBA playoffs have begun and include Chicagos Sylvia Fowles, a Miami native, and Atlantas Ruth Riley, a 2001 top draft pick of the short-lived Miami Sol. Hey, thats two more reasons to watch than you had before!
• Update:. ESPN still reporting that LeBron has no idea what will happen in the summer of 2014.
As the Heat prepares to open training camp Oct. 1, TNTs Steve Kerr says Miami will not win a third consecutive title. Kerr is best known as a career-long reserve who won five rings on the coattails of others.
• It was reported this week the Heats Chris Birdman Andersen, while playing in Denver, was the victim of an Internet hoax involving a woman. No, wiseguy, her name was not Lennay Kekua.
• Americas Cup sailing is getting intense as the U.S. tries to stay alive against New Zealands huge lead. Cannot confirm, but somebody told me a U.S. Navy destroyer just sank the Kiwis catamaran.
• Intentional crashes affecting race outcomes give NASCAR a credibility crisis as its Chase for the Cup continues. Makes sense, though. If there were a recipe for road rage, Id make it macho men who dont like each other driving 180 mph.
• Redefining sad but true, an ESPN survey of 1,000 fans named Alex Rodriguez the face of baseball in 2013.
• On eBay you can buy authenticated Jim Palmer-signed underwear that he modeled for Jockey in the 70s. Is there a worse job in America than being in charge of authenticating 40-year-old underwear?ispaniPanispaniPan
• The Harlem Globetrotters are for sale. Assets include that pail that you think is full of water but actually only contains confetti!
• Parting thought: Could someone please wake the NCAA and remind them Miami is still awaiting a final decision? You know how Job, from the Bible, was famous for patience? Job never met Mark Emmert.
Visit Gregs Random Evidence of a Cluttered Blog daily at MiamiHerald.com and follow on Twitter @gregcote, Instagram/upsetbird, Vine/Greg Cote and Facebook/Greg Cote.