Lebanon charges 5 Syrians in spread of war across border

 

McClatchy Foreign Staff

Lebanese prosecutors charged five Syrians this week in attacks earlier this year on targets related to the Shiite Muslim militant group Hezbollah. Although the two cases – a bombing and a rocket attack – remain legally unconnected, they suggest that Lebanese authorities are reaching conclusions about who’s responsible for violence in the country related to the civil war in Syria.

On Tuesday, authorities charged two men with planning and executing the roadside bombing of a Hezbollah convoy June 23 that killed at least one member of the group on the main highway linking Syria and Lebanon. That was followed Wednesday with Military Examining Magistrate Fadi Sawan issuing arrest warrants for three men in connection with a rocket attack May 26 on southern Beirut neighborhoods, near Hezbollah’s headquarters, that wounded four.

The aggressive action from Lebanon’s military tribunal system, which tends to handle political cases and terrorism, comes as this tiny country wedged uncomfortably between Israel and Syria struggles to maintain order while much of its population takes increasingly bitter sides in the 30-month Syrian war.

Lebanese news organizations reported that a man who was killed by an explosion Monday was an active-duty Syrian army officer who was visiting his brother in Lebanon.

Syrian groups have been linked to – or widely accused of – four car bombings: two that targeted neighborhoods in Beirut known for their staunch support of Hezbollah and the Syrian regime, and two that struck mosques in the northern city of Tripoli that were known for vocal support of the rebels.

Western and Lebanese officials have said they think that a specific group of Syrian rebels has been tasked by its leaders with punishing Hezbollah’s communities and backers for the group’s military support for the embattled regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad. The officials spoke only on the condition of anonymity because they were discussing intelligence information. They also declined to identify the group they were referring to.

The men charged in the June 23 attack were identified as Amer and Moutasem Hamdan, who appear to be related, though there were conflicting accounts of their relationship. The two reportedly are from the suburbs of Damascus, Syria’s capital, and a Lebanese judicial official, who cannot be named under Lebanese law, said Amer Hamdan had confessed under interrogation to being a member of “a Syrian terrorist organization.” Moutasem Hamdan remains at large and is thought to be still in Lebanon.

Two of the three men ordered arrested Wednesday also appear to be related. They were indentified as Mohammed and Ghayyath Qarhathan. The third man was identified as Omar al Dirani.

Western and Lebanese intelligence officials have said previously that they think that at least some rocket attacks and the first car bombing in southern Beirut were conducted by a cell of the Syrian rebel organization Liwa 313, which military analysts have described as a special operations group under the command of the U.S.-backed Syrian Military Council. But some Lebanese authorities and Hezbollah members tend to refer to any attack on Shiites in Lebanon as being directed by the Nusra Front, an anti-Assad al Qaida affiliate.

Nusra and another al Qaida affiliate, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, both Sunni Muslim groups, have employed violent sectarian imagery directed at Hezbollah in videos posted on the Internet. The Syrian Military Council, also overwhelmingly Sunni, is seen as less sectarian but equally interested in punishing Hezbollah for involving itself in Syria, particularly for the group’s role in the capture from rebels of Qusayr, a city near the Lebanese border.

Prothero is a McClatchy special correspondent.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
North Korean school girls stand in formation during an opening ceremony for the start of summer activities at the Songdowon International Children's Camp, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, in Wonsan, North Korea. The camp, which has been operating for nearly 30 years, was originally intended mainly to deepen relations with friendly countries in the Communist or non-aligned world. But officials say they are willing to accept youth from anywhere - even the United States.

    AP PHOTOS: NKorea opens summer camp for kids

    Summer camp in North Korea? It's got one — and it's got everything from giant water slides and a private beach to video games and volleyball courts. Oh, and, of course, a big bronze statue of the late leaders Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il surrounded by adoring children.

  •  
In this July 10, 2014 photo, tourists look at a painting depicting Khmer Rouge torture at the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, formerly the most notorious Khmer Rouge prison, in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The slow course of justice for the leaders of Cambodia's murderous Khmer Rouge regime will inch forward again Wednesday, July 30, 2014 as a U.N.-backed tribunal holds an initial hearing against a pair of defendants in their 80s facing genocide and other charges. Khmer Rouge head of state, Khieu Samphan, and Nuon Chea, right-hand man to the group's late chief, Pol Pot, are among the few surviving top leaders of the brutal communist group, which was responsible for an estimated 1.7 million deaths from starvation, exhaustion, disease and execution when it was in power in 1975-79.

    Khmer Rouge tribunal to tackle genocide charges

    The slow course of justice for the leaders of Cambodia's murderous Khmer Rouge regime will inch forward again Wednesday, as a U.N.-backed tribunal holds an initial hearing against a pair of defendants in their 80s facing genocide and other charges.

  • Swiss bank UBS reports 2Q net profit jump

    Swiss banking giant UBS AG reported a 15 percent jump Tuesday in second-quarter net profit compared to a year ago, driven by strong results from its core wealth management and trimmed-down investment banking franchises despite a tough market environment.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category