The Panthers played a lot of hockey Monday yet needed a little extra time to finish off a preseason sweep of Nashville at the BB&T Center.
In Game 1, Florida got a 6-3 win thanks in part to two-goal games from Erik Gudbranson and Scottie Upshall.
Later that night, Tomas Fleischmann’s goal with 46.2 seconds left in overtime served as the winner as the Panthers won 3-2.
In the opener, the Panthers scored five unanswered goals kicked off by back-to-back markers from Gudbranson within a four-minute span in the second.
Florida, playing in a nearly empty arena, trailed 3-1 in the opening period before Gudbranson’s first goal with 5:46 left in the second brought Florida within one. After that, Brad Boyes, in camp on a pro tryout, scored for the Panthers’ first lead.
Upshall, who scored Florida’s first goal, got his second of the game with 6:37 left before Quinton Howden closed out the scoring 2:16 later.
Rob Madore, who earned a tryout after a good showing at prospect camp against the Predators, stopped all five shots he faced in the third. Goalie Dov Grumet-Morris, who plays for Florida’s AHL affiliate in San Antonio, gave up three goals on 16 shots.
Florida outshot Nashville 41-21 in the opener.
“Once we tied it up, we continued to push and that was huge,” Gudbranson said.
In the second game, Florida trailed 2-1 in the second period but tied it when Tomas Kopecky took a feed from rookie Aleksander Barkov and threw it at goalie Cody Reichard on a power-play chance. The puck hit Reichard’s skate and bounded into the net.
Fleischmann, who played on a line with Barkov, scored the winner.
Florida was outshot 30-27 in the second game.
• Assistant general manager Mike Santos said that Florida has offered a PTO to former Minnesota and Edmonton defenseman Tom Gilbert. Gilbert has played in 447 games over parts of seven NHL seasons.
• Rookie forward Vince Trocheck picked up a pair of assists and was named third star of the first game.
• Tuesday: Practice, 10:30 a.m. (Iceplex)
• Wednesday: Practice, 9 a.m. (Iceplex); preseason game at Dallas, 8 p.m.
• Thursday: Practice in San Antonio, TBA
• Friday: Preseason game vs. Stars, AT&T Center (San Antonio), 8 p.m.
Note: Workouts at Coral Springs Iceplex are free and open to the public. Starting times subject to change.