Turks and Caicxos

Former Turks and Caicos ministers get court date

 

jcharles@MiamiHerald.com

Nearly two years after criminal charges were brought against several former government ministers in a political corruption scandal in the Turks and Caicos Islands, a judge in the British dependent territory’s high court set a trial date Monday.

Justice Paul Harrison said the criminal trial on corruption-related charges against 11 individuals including four former government ministers would start July 7, 2014. The islands are located 575 miles southeast of Miami, and are a popular tourist spot with U.S. celebrities, several of whom own homes there.

In 2009, retired British judge Sir Robert Auld, heading a commission of inquiry, concluded there was “a high probability of systematic corruption and/or other serious dishonesty,” in the Turks and Caicos. Auld also criticized the high-flying lifestyles of government officials including former Premier Michael Misick, who is currently in custody in Brazil and fighting extradition.

The British $11-million-a year-investigation has been aided by the U.S. Department of Justice. Investigators have combed through tens of thousands of pages of evidence as part of their case against Misick and four of his ministers. Among their findings: suspicious land deals, unpaid government bills and possible fraud, bribery and money laundering.

Lawyers also have recovered 3,000 acres of ill-gotten government-owned land worth $100 million, along with $20 million in cash, the islands’ former British-appointed governor Ric Todd told the Miami Herald last week.

On Monday, attorneys acting on behalf of a majority of the defendants sought to delay the trial until late 2014. But the prosecution told Harrison that it could go to trial as early as January. Criminal charges were first issued in the case in November 2011.

Harrison ordered a hearing for Jan. 6, 2014, and then the trial in July.

Read more Americas stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category