• MAKERS AND MORE: Startup Delray’s “Tech + Art: Creative Collaborations” from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m., Monday, Sept. 16, in downtown Delray includes special presentations on the maker movement, including a presentation on the Miami Mini Maker Fair, a documentary trailer and a recap of Summer Maker Camp for Teens. More info: http://startupdelray-techandart.eventbrite.com.
• SPEAKER SERIES: Startup Palm Beach’s 3-part speaker series at the Waterfront Pavilion on Clematis Street in West Palm Beach continues Tuesday, Sept. 17, with “Creation & Invention” by Perry Kaye at 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. $20. More info: https://startupspeakerseries.eventbrite.com/
• GOVERNMENT CONTRACTING: Miami-Dade gives small businesses the low-down on county contracting in “Get Your Share of County Business” on Tuesday, Sept 17, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the SBA Office in downtown Miami. $30 in advance. More info: http://miamidade.score.org (click on Local Workshops)
• TOOLING TALK: Learn the essentials for working in a development environment at “Dev Tooling,” taught by Stonly Baptiste and Javier Buzzi, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday, Sept 17, at LAB Miami. More info: http://thelabmiami.com
• RECRUITING: SCORE Miami-Dade presents a workshop on “Hiring, Recruiting and Keeping the Best People” from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, at UM Life Science & Technology Park. $30 in advance. More info: http://miamidade.score.org (click on Local Workshops)
STARTING GATE BLOG
OnTrade, a Miami-based tech company in the travel and trade show space, was acquired by Conference Hound of San Francisco. The week before, Consult A Doctor of Miami Beach was acquired by competitor Teledoc.
Miami was in the house at TechCrunch Disrupt. Starting Gate brought you posts from the scene, courtesy of Pabla Ayala. Read more news and views, including posts by Robert Hacker of GH Capital and German Montoya of Rokk3r Labs, on the blog on Miamiherald.com/business.
Nancy Dahlberg @ndahlberg