By the time North Broward Prep’s Jack Klumpp was making a late charge at the Class 2A cross-country state title last season, Pines Charter’s Andrew Iglesias had already been shut down with a season-ending stress reaction injury.
On Saturday, Klumpp will kick off his Broward Runner of the Year campaign at the Archbishop McCarthy Invitational while Iglesias plots a return to prominence at the University of Florida Mountain Dew Invitational in Gainesville.
A sizzling 2012 postseason has vaulted Klumpp front and center into the Class 2A state contender conversation. A self-described team comic, Klumpp was all business in winning the District 14-2A and Region 4-2A titles before running to a 15th-place finish in 16:37 at the Class 2A State Finals.
Iglesias, meanwhile, was all but the forgotten runner in 2012 following a dream 2011 sophomore season when Iglesias placed eighth at the Class 3A state finals and became the unanimous choice for Broward Runner of the Year.
But Iglesias, who gutted out three races last season and ran an un-Iglesias-like season-best 18:23, has pronounced himself 100 percent healthy and ready to reintroduce himself in a big way at the Mountain Dew Invitational.
“As big races goes, the Mountain Dew would be a steppingstone,” Iglesias said. “It was hard mentally to sit out my junior year when I was expecting so much. Through it all coach [Joe] Hazera told me when you hit the low point that makes it that much better when you can get up from it. Fall eight times and get up nine times.”
Unlike his dream 2011 season, when Iglesias ran alone in front, he will get a serious push as the Jaguars’ number one runner from Carlos Penaranda, who came out of nowhere to earn a spot on the Miami Herald’s All-Broward first team.
• Friends of Friday Meet (at Westminster Academy Sports Complex): Top 20: 1. Lacy, Joel (CC) 17:13.89, 2. McCracken, Casey (WA)17:38.16. 3. Gulibert, Pasha (CC)17:44.66. 4. Bejarano, Brandon (WA)18:04.27. 5. Szklany, Ryan (HC)18:30.69. 6. Luke, John (WA)19:34.74. 7. Lasher, McKenna (CG)19:56.20. 8. Still, Geoffrey (CC) 20:01.42. 9. Roberts, Jake (CG) 20:04.70. 10. Fiedler, Cole (CG) 20:08.49. 11. Glazer, David (CG) 20:10.62. 12. Tutan, Jake (CG)20:17.71. 13. Campbell, Jordan (CC) 20:25.76. 14. Mena, Nic (CS)20:26.23.15. Allsworth, Chase (WA) 20:26.76. 16. Johnson, Trace (HC) 20:30.16. 17. Slupecki, Nicholas (CS) 20:40.54. 18. Hall, Tevone (CG) 20:45.45. 19. Matthias, Adrian (HC)21:01.27. 20. Conde, Sebastian (CS)21:03.47.
• Berkeley Prep d. St. Thomas Aquinas 25-17, 25-23, 22-25, 25-18: Mackenzie Zielinski 43 assists, 3 digs, kill, block, ace, 4 points. Nikki Lyons 17 kills, block, 2 aces, 7 points. STA 5-1.
• American Heritage 295, Ponte Vedra 300, Bartram Trail 304, Spruce Creek 308, The Benjamin School 309 (Titan Invitational at Ocean Hammock par 72): Garcia (AH) 69, Batchelor (BT) 69, Caparros (AH) 71, Funk (PV) 71, Ledger (BEN) 72, Kennerly (BEN) 73, Alligood (BT) 73.
• Westminster Academy 160, Calvary Christian 167, Somerset 235 (at Palm Aire Oaks par 35): Lamay (WA) 35, Rubin (CC) 37, Butts (CC) 39, Nueman (WA) 41, Geer (WA) 42, Thompson (WA) 42, Langer (CC) 44, Ibrahim (SU) 45, Vargas (CC) 47, Estive (SU) 62, Lebay (SU) 58.
• Kings Academy 155, Oxbridge Academy 164, North Broward 180 (at Breakers West par 37): Mathison (OA) 37, Shiao (NB) 28, Kozan (KA) 38, Roxas (KA) 38, Durand (KA) 39, Shell (OA) 39, Labanz (KA) 40, Bench (NB) 43, Gordon (OA) 43, McGrath (OA) 45, Page (NB) 47, Weisman (NB) 52.
Dillard at Stephenson (TX), 7:30
Westminster Academy at Archbishop Curley, 2
Coral Glades vs. Plantation (Plantation), 6:30
Fort Lauderdale vs. Boyd Anderson (Boyd Anderson), 4:30
Hallandale vs. Cardinal Gibbons (Cardinal Gibbons), 4:30
Archbishop McCarthy vs. Coconut Creek (Coconut Creek), 4:30
Western vs. Cooper City (Cooper City), 4:30
South Plantation vs. Cypress Bay (Home), 4:30
Piper vs. Deerfield Beach (Deerfield Beach), 4:30
Monarch vs. Northeast (Northeast), 4:30
American Heritage vs. Pompano Beach (Pompano Beach), 4:30
Dillard vs. Stranahan (Stranahan), 4:30
Miramar vs. Blanche Ely (Blanche Ely), 4:30