Palace: Prince William ends military career

 

LONDON (AP) – Prince William has finished his tour of duty as a Royal Air Force search-and-rescue helicopter pilot and has left operational service with the British military to focus on royal duties and charity work, royal officials said Thursday.

William's Kensington Palace office said that the second in line to the British throne completed his final shift earlier this week.

It said he will now focus on royal duties and is “considering a number of options for public service.”

The palace said William, 31, would “expand his work in the field of conservation, particularly in respect of endangered species” and would work on charities that help children and veterans.

William has spent more than seven years in the military, first in the army and then as a Royal Air Force pilot, stationed on the quiet island of Anglesey in north Wales.

He was able to blend in with residents and fellow military personnel, enjoying a degree of privacy despite his royal status.

In July his wife Kate gave birth to the couple's first child, Prince George. Now that William's active military career is finished, the family will move into refurbished quarters at Kensington Palace in London. They had been living in a rented home in Anglesey.

William started as an officer cadet at Sandhurst military academy in 2006. He started search and rescue helicopter training three years later.

The palace said he had participated in 156 search and rescue operations, helping to rescue 149 people. He has completed more than 1,300 flying hours.

William's younger brother, Prince Harry, remains active in the military, and has served in Afghanistan as an Apache helicopter pilot.

Read more People stories from the Miami Herald

  • At the movies

    Frank Grillo battles it out in ‘The Purge: Anarchy’

    Non-spoiler alert: Ethan Hawke is most definitely not back from the dead.

  • Celebrity roundup

    Pirate’s life for Walken

    NBC has found its Captain Hook.

  • Radar

    Hot stuff celebrities love

    Rapper. Fashion risk-taker. Local hero. Now muse. Pitbull, aka Armando Christian Perez, teamed up with Miami artist Alexander Mijares on We Are One, inspired by Mr. 305’s World Cup anthem. Through Saturday, the original — a 32-by-32 canvas featuring the map of Brazil and signed by Pitbull — is being sold in an eBay auction with all proceeds going to TECHO Brasil, a nonprofit seeking to alleviate poverty (starting bid: $6,500); http://givingworks.ebay.com/pitbull. There will also be 20 additional prints of the piece for $250.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category