Miami’s Top 5: What you should know Tuesday

 
 
Carlos Bertonatti
Carlos Bertonatti
Walter Michot / Miami Herald Staff

1. Can they beat County Hall? Activists will swarm the Miami-Dade commission chambers Tuesday to protest a 2013-14 budget that includes the layoffs of librarians and firefighters. This first public hearing will be the last chance for people who want to see a higher tax rate to ward off the cuts.

2. A 60-year-old Broward woman faces a life sentence for using her psychiatric practice to steal millions from Medicare. She was convicted in June with three other defendants of submitting false claims for $67 million over a decade.

3. The Hurricanes beat the Gators again as UM comes in at 47th and UF at 49th on the annual Best Colleges list by U.S. News & World Report. FSU came in at 91 and UCF and USF tied for 170th.

4. A Key Biscayne musician will be sentenced for the drunk-driving crash that killed a cyclist on the Rickenbacker Causeway. Carlos Bertonatti faces from 11 to 37 years in prison.

5. Expect to get wet again, with a 30-40 percent chance of rain, expected mostly in the afternoon. The National Weather Service says Wednesday could be even wetter, with a 60 percent chance.

Read more Miami-Dade stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category