NASCAR typically reviews any incidents that occur at a racetrack within a day or two following the event. Officials from MWR met with NASCAR at its research and development center in Concord before making its determination to assess penalties.
"We spent the biggest part of today reviewing all of that, including reviewing it with Michael Waltrip Racing, as part of the fact-finding or the due diligence, if you will, to get to the point to where determining if we needed to make a decision or not, and then what that decision would be," Helton said.
MWR said it accepts the penalties issued by NASCAR and plans to move forward in the 2013 season.
"What occurred on the No. 55 radio at the end of Saturday night's race in Richmond was a split-second decision made by team spotter Ty Norris to bring the No. 55 to pit lane and help a teammate earn a place in the Chase," team co-owner Michael Waltrip said in a statement. "We regret the decision and its impact. We apologize to NASCAR, our fellow competitors, partners and fans who were disappointed in our actions. We will learn from this and move on. As general manager, Ty Norris has been an integral part of Michael Waltrip Racing since its founding and has my and (co-owner) Rob Kauffman's full support."
Earlier in the day, Richard Childress Racing announced that Newman has signed with the team to drive the No. 31 car in Sprint Cup, starting next year. Newman will replace Jeff Burton, who said last week that he is leaving RCR at the end of this season.
Newman addressed the Richmond incident during a teleconference following the announcement of his signing with RCR.
"What happened to me on Saturday night is the toughest thing that I've ever gone through in any kind of racing in my 30 years of driving because of the way everything went down and, in hindsight, how it hurt that much more," he said.
Newman's mood changed when he got word that he will be in the 10-race Chase, which begins this weekend at Chicagoland Speedway.
"I am proud that NASCAR took a stand with respect to what went on Saturday night at Richmond," Newman said in a statement released by Stewart-Haas Racing. "I know it was a tough decision to make. With that being said, myself, Matt Borland (crew chief) and this entire No. 39 team are looking forward to competing for the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship."
Newman's one win this season, which came in the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, helped him get in the Chase for the fifth time.
"Obviously, we're very pleased with NASCAR's decision to provide Ryan Newman's rightful place in this year's Chase," SHR co-owner Tony Stewart said. "NASCAR was put in a very difficult position Saturday night at Richmond, and we commend the sanctioning body for taking the time to do the necessary due diligence to ensure that the right call was made."