Jock Doc

Back pain feels like an electric shock

Q. Over the last week I have had pain in the upper part of my right back. At times it feels like an electric shock. When I reach for things it can be worse. I have no prior problems in my neck or back. I have tried Ibuprofen and it has not helped. What is it and what type of doctor do you think I need to see?

The largest muscle in our body is the trapezius, which runs from the base of the skull across the mid-part of your back. This is a trapezoidal-shaped muscle that occasionally can develop a sharp spasm.

When these spasms are localized and are particularly sensitive, they are known as “trigger points.” Many trapezial muscle spasms or trigger point spasms will get better with anti-inflammatory medications, such as Ibuprofen, or rest.

Since yours has persisted a week I recommend you seen an orthopedic surgeon or spine specialist for evaluation and treatment. Treatment could include a muscle relaxant, a different anti-inflammatory, physical therapy, neuromuscular therapy, or possibly an injection. Although these injuries are annoying, they are usually not very serious and will respond to these conservative treatment modalities.

Dr. Harlan Selesnick is team physician of the Miami Heat and director of Miami Sports Medicine Fellowship, Doctors Hospital. Send your questions to

Read more Health stories from the Miami Herald

  • Ask Nancy

    How to find a doctor who makes house calls

    Q. My mom is 82. Her mobility has become limited in the past year, and it has become difficult to take her to appointments with her doctor, who doesn't make house calls. Do you have a list of physicians who specialize in geriatric care and that make house calls? Perhaps you have other suggestions?

  • chew on this

    Chew on this: Thank bees for sweet, golden, healthful honey

    Honey, golden and sweet, is a remarkable product.

  • Skin Deep

    FDA warns about not using Expression as a filler

    It never ceases to amaze me how some people can take injections so lightly. Yes, they are cosmetic and non-invasive, but these treatments require the training and skill only an experienced dermatologist, plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon possess. Every week I have at least one patient that comes to me to correct filler injected by an inexperienced or inartistic doctor.

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category