WASHINGTON DC

Key Guantánamo-related jobs at Pentagon vacant

 

Verbatim | President Barack Obama May 23

“I’m appointing a new senior envoy at the State Department and Defense Department whose sole responsibility will be to achieve the transfer of detainees to third countries.”



crosenberg@MiamiHerald.com

More than 100 days after President Barack Obama pledged to create a Defense Department position to work on emptying the Guantánamo prison, the post still has not been filled and the Pentagon’s detainee policy post is under interim management.

William K. Lietzau resigned as the top Pentagon official dealing with detainees over the summer. His last day was last week. Meantime, J. Alan Liotta, who had been Lietzau’s deputy, is functioning as “Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Rule of Law & Detainee Policy,” according to a Pentagon spokesman, Army Lt. Col. Todd Breasseale.

Liotta has been interim boss in the past. He got to the office when it first opened in 2004 in the aftermath of the disclosure of photos showing soldiers abusing detainees at Abu Ghraib, Iraq.

Lietzau’s departure leaves two detainee-related posts to fill at the Pentagon. On May 23, Obama announced that he was appointing a separate Pentagon-based special envoy to work on closing the prison in collaboration with a new State Department envoy.

As of Friday, the prison held 164 detainees — 30 of them on hunger strike and 27 designated for forced nasogastric feedings if they don’t cooperate with Navy medics tasked to renourish them. In June the hunger strike peaked at 106 captives, according to the military’s count.

Captives began quitting the strike in early July once the prison leveraged eating to release from lockdown. Then, last week, the Obama administration sent two long-held Algerian hunger strikers home.

It was the first detainee transfer in nearly a year, and the first arranged by the State Department’s recently assigned “Closure Czar,” Clifford Sloan.

The White House said Thursday evening that creation of the Pentagon position was still an administration goal, but did not explain the delay.

“There’s no change in the policy/direction on this issue from the White House,” National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said by email.

“We still intend to push forward on repatriating detainees in every instance possible and getting to the closure of Guantánamo, supported by the efforts of envoys at the Departments of State and Defense.”

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Algerian Djamel Ameziane, a 42-year-old ethnic Berber, has been approved for release but wants to go to Canada, or another country, rather than the nation he fled in 1992. His lawyers have chosen Canada because he lived there for five years, and filed a failed application for political asylum. From Canada he went to Afghanistan, where he was captured in the U.S. invasion.

    IN THE COURTS

    Ex-Guantánamo detainee can’t get his money back

    Federal judge concludes a former Guantánamo detainee may no longer be a threat, but his money is.

  •  
The Kremlin.

    Russia bans congressman, 12 other Americans

    Russia has placed a U.S. lawmaker and 12 other people connected with the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq on its list of those banned from entering the country.

  •  
In this image from video, Eugene R. Fidell, the lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday, July 16, 2014, in an interview with The Associated Press that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

    Bergdahl hires lawyer for military investigation

    The lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category