• Dade Christian School, 6601 NW 167 Street, Miami will hold a fundraising fishing tournament to benefit the school on Saturday. The tournament has three divisions: headboat; inshore guided and non-guided; and offshore guided and non-guided. Entry fees are $400 in the offshore division for a boat with up to four anglers; and $300 for the inshore division with up to three anglers. For more information, visit www.dadechristian.org or call Craig Konchak at 786-295-9124.
• The Broward Sierra Club will meet Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at Fern Forest Nature Center, 201 Lyons Rd., S., Coconut Creek. Guest speaker will be Dr. Nicolas Aumen, science advisor for U.S. Geological Survey. For more information, call Stanley Pannaman at 954-730-4639.
• Catch and release bonefish, tarpon and permit with a celebrity angler in the Robert James Sales SLAM Celebrity Tournament from Friday through Sunday in Key West. Proceeds from the opening contest in the 2013 Redbone Trilogy benefit cystic fibrosis research. Entry fee is $3,500 for a two-angler team. Visit www.redbone.org or call 305-664-2002.
• The Florida Nursery Growers and Landscape Association will present the 13th annual “Day on the Bay” Tournament on Saturday. Anglers may fish Biscayne, Florida, or Whitewater bays. Entry fee is $70 for adults; $30 for juniors 15 and under. Call Karen at 305-248-1117.
• El Capitan will host the first annual “Battle on the Bay” inshore fishing tournament Saturday at the store, 14121 S. Dixie Highway, Miami. A captains’ meeting will be held Sept. 5 at 7:30 p.m. Proceeds benefit the Autism Society. For more information, call 305-467-9688 or visit www. battleonthebaytournament. com.
• Catch and release redfish and snook for cash in the second annual Panther Baseball Alumni Club Fishing tournament Saturday in Fort Myers Beach. Entry fee is $250 per boat with a maximum of three anglers. Boaters and waders are welcome. Call Chris Davison at 239-247-4161 or visit www.PantherBaseballAlumni. org.
The IGFA School of Sportfishing launches its fall 2013 session Tuesday from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. with “Fundamentals of Sportfishing” taught by captain Tony DiGiulian. Future sessions cover snook/tarpon; live bait; daytime swordfishing; bottom fishing wrecks and reefs; targeting nearshore gamefish; wintertime wahoo and kite fishing techniques. Sessions cost $100 for IGFA members; $150 for non-members. Visit www.igfa.org or call Anthony Vedral at 954-924-4254.
• The Big Cypress chapter of the Florida Trail Association will host a potluck social Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at Tropical Audubon’s Doc Thomas House, 5530 Sunset Dr., South Miami. Bring a dish or nonalcoholic drink to share. For more, call 305-608-6866.
• Captain Bouncer Smith will be guest speaker at the Sept. 11 meeting of the South Florida Fishing Club at 6:30 p.m. at Tony Roma’s, 18050 Collins Ave., Sunny Isles Beach. For more information, email Mike Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Captain Bouncer Smith will discuss fall tuna, mahi, snapper and more Sept. 12 at 6:30 p.m. at Dusky Sport Center, 110 N. Bryan Rd., Dania Beach. Admission is $15, redeemable for store merchandise. For more information, visit dusky.com.
• REEF will host a lionfish derby Sept. 14 at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo. A cash purse of $3,500 will be awarded. Entry fee is $120 for a team of up to four. A mandatory team meeting will be held Sept. 13 at 6:30 p.m. Visit www.reef.org/lionfish/derbies or call 305-852-0030.
This page is a weekly feature on upcoming Florida outdoors events. If you would like to add to this listing, email scocking@MiamiHerald.com.