The Belen boys’ cross-country team captured its first major meet victory of the season by winning the Estero Invitational, which was held Saturday morning at Estero Community Park.
Belen placed six runners in the top 10, giving the Wolverines a team score of 23 points.
Senior Fabian Tomas placed first with a time of 16:55, and junior Ryan Rodriguez followed closely behind in 16:58. Alexander Isaac (17:37), Jaime Lopez (17:43), Michael Magoulas (17:58) and Matthew Mullin-Garcia (18:02) rounded out the top 10 for Belen, with Isaac and Lopez placing fifth and sixth.
• Results — Miami-Dade Top 50: 1. Fabian Tomas (BEL) 16:55, 2. Ryan Rodriguez (BEL) 16:58, 5. Alex Isaac (BEL) 17:37, 6. Jaime Lopez (BEL) 17:43, 17. Nicolas Roca (BEL) 18:36, 39. Vicente Caycedo (DA) 19:44.
• Martin Luther King (Ga.) 41, Blanche Ely 15: Blanche Ely was never able to get anything going on its trip to Lithonia, Ga.
Quarterback Teddrick Moffet capitalized in the first half with a rushing touchdown, but Martin Luther King blew the game open in the second.
Ely faces Deerfield Beach on Saturday.
• Late Friday — Mater Academy 26, Somerset 0: The Mater Academy rushing attack of Daniel Doriscar, Steven Rodriguez, Joseph Barrocas and Jamal Adjamah combined for 300 yards rushing, and each scored a rushing touchdown. Alejandro Medina recorded an interception to help preserve the Lions’ shutout.
• Late Friday — Boca Raton Christian 48, Palmer Trinity 21: Freshman quarterback Dylan DiBello threw three touchdowns for Palmer Trinity, including a 45-yard strike to senior wide receiver Nicolas Moscoso. The Falcons defense could not withstand the powerful Boca Raton Christian running game led by senior Joseph Lewis. Palmer Trinity senior safety Blake Rubin led the team with 11 tackles.
• Late Friday — Coral Shores 37, Archbishop Carroll 12: Twins George and Henry Jacobsen combined for more than 400 yards rushing and five first-half touchdowns.
• Late Friday — La Salle 19, Pope John Paul II 14: With La Salle down 14-13 in the fourth quarter, Leon Rechourse returned a kickoff 80 yards to seal the victory for the Royal Lions.
Quarterback Joey McCain ran for 34 yards and a touchdown and threw for 153 yards, and Rodrigo Berdullas caught five passes for 120 yards.
LA SALLE 19,
POPE JOHN PAUL II 14
LAS- McCain 1 run (Cardenas kick)
PJP- Segui 28 pass from Rizik (Miller kick)
LAS- Borgella 1 run (conversion failed)
PJP- McGriff 3 run (Miller kick)
LAS- Rechourse 80 kick return (conversion failed)
Individual Statistics — Rushing (att-yds) — LAS: Mickens 2-6, Readon 8-7, McCain 16-34, Morales 2-10, Borgella 6-22. Passing (comp-att-int, yds)— LAS: McCain 10-19-1, 153. PJP: RIZK 4-12-2, 49. Receiving (rec-yds-TD) — LAS: Readon 3-23, Robinson 1-8, Morales 1-2, Berdullas 5-120.
UNIVERSITY SCHOOL 61,
US- Scarlett 75 run (kick failed)
US- Bruce 22 pass from White (Dirocco kick)
US- Taylor 8 pass from White (Dirocco kick)
TAR- Smith 3 run (Pacelko kick)
US- Wilson 95 INT return (kick failed)
US- Hunt 14 pass from White (Dirocco kick)
US- Clement 0 FR (Dirocco kick)
US- Soto 25 pass from White (Dirocco kick)
US- Hunt 36 run (Dirocco kick)
TAR- Burnham 16 pass from Sinclair (Pacelko kick)
US- Hicks 3 run (Dirocco kick)
Rushing (att-yds) — US: Bruce 1-4, White 2-8, Moore 9-31, Hicks 7-45, Hunt 4-80, Scarlett 5-101. TAR: Cadot 1-4, Hunter 5-13, Miller 6-37, Smith 16-54, Evans-Morris 16-106. Passing (comp-att-int, yds)— US: White 7-10-1, 110. TAR: Miller 0-1-1, 0, Sinclair 3-10-0, 22. Receiving (rec-yds-TD) — US: Taylor 1-8, Hunt 1-14, Soto 1-25, Bruce 4-63. TAR: Jeanis 1-2, Evans-Morris 1-4, Burnham 1-16.