Obama opens narrow window for diplomatic action in Syria

 

McClatchy Washington Bureau

Obama’s decision to shelve attack plans pending a vote from Congress opens a narrow door for diplomacy, though it’s unclear whether any side would negotiate now after a bitter buildup and competing claims of chemical weapons use.

Obama is due in St. Petersburg on Wednesday to take part in the Group of 20 summit, where his Syria plans are sure to be hotly debated. Host country Russia has blocked previous attempts to censure the Assad regime at the U.N. Security Council, and it’s unclear whether Obama would be willing or able to negotiate a breakthrough with an in-person appeal during his visit.

As news broke of Obama’s decision to delay a strike, U.S. diplomats immediately began working the phones to reassure Syria opposition leaders who were undoubtedly disappointed at the delay in what had only a day before appeared to be imminent U.S. military intervention. Almost since the conflict began, outgunned Syrian rebels have beseeched Western powers for military backup to help weaken Assad’s forces.

Secretary of State John Kerry called Syrian Opposition Coalition President Ahmad Assi Jarba “to underscore President Obama’s commitment to holding the regime accountable for its chemical weapons attack against its own people on Aug. 21,” a senior State Department official said, on condition of anonymity as per diplomatic protocol.

That was a day after Kerry delivered an impassioned speech making the case for a military intervention, promising that the U.S. would take a stand against the use of chemical weapons against “the defenseless Syrian people.”

Kerry also spoke with Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al Faisal and Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida “on the same issue,” the State Department official said. With no backup from Britain and only lukewarm support for an intervention from other European and Arab allies, U.S. officials now seem to be courting the Saudis and the Japanese in hopes of building at least a semblance of international cover for potential action.

“Secretary Kerry will continue making calls to consult with foreign leaders and counterparts on Syria throughout the day and in the days ahead,” the State Department official said.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this July 2014 photo provided by The Citizens Foundation 17-year-old Haris Suleman is greeted by students from the Citizens Foundation school in Lahore, Pakistan, during his around-the-world flight. The body of the Plainfield, Indiana, teen was recovered after his single-engine plane crashed Tuesday, July 22, 2014 shortly after taking off from Pago Pago in American Samoa. Crews were still searching for his father, 58-year-old Babar Suleman, who was flying with him.

    Witness: Teen's plane didn't show obvious distress

    A man who saw a plane flown by an Indiana teen who was killed during an around-the-world flight attempt says the aircraft was flying low but didn't show any obvious signs of distress before diving into the ocean off American Samoa.

  • Islamic State presses Syria offensive, targets two key government garrisons

    A week after seizing a major oilfield in an offensive that left 270 Syrian government soldiers dead, the extremist Islamic State on Thursday targeted two more key government garrisons, posting photos on the Internet of headless bodies the group claims had been soldiers killed in the attacks.

  • UN urges quick implementation of CAR cease-fire

    The U.N. Security Council on Thursday called on Muslim and Christian factions battling in Central African Republic to immediately implement a cease-fire agreement they signed this week.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category