Nationals 9, Marlins 0

Miami Marlins shut out by Washington Nationals

 

The punchless Marlins managed only four hits against the Nationals and were blanked for the 16th time this season.

 
Miami Marlins starting pitcher Tom Koehler, left, watches as first baseman Ed Lucas grabs a bunt by Washington Nationals' Gio Gonzalez during the fifth inning of a baseball game at Nationals Park, Thursday, Aug. 29, 2013, in Washington.
Miami Marlins starting pitcher Tom Koehler, left, watches as first baseman Ed Lucas grabs a bunt by Washington Nationals' Gio Gonzalez during the fifth inning of a baseball game at Nationals Park, Thursday, Aug. 29, 2013, in Washington.
Alex Brandon / AP

cspencer@MiamiHerald.com

Another new lineup for the Marlins yielded the same old fizzle. Team Sominex turned in another snoozer at the plate Thursday, coming up empty in a 9-0 setback to the Washington Nationals as the Marlins suffered their 16th shutout loss and 12th series sweep of the season.

It was the 64th time the Marlins have been held to two runs or less. It was also their worst thrashing since a 10-1 loss to Milwaukee on June 12 and their worst shutout loss since a 11-0 spanking by Tampa Bay last season.

Their lineup packed with right-handers to counter Nationals southpaw Gio Gonzalez, the Marlins produced yet another typical yawner, tapping out only four measly hits and providing more evidence — not that any more was necessary — that addressing the offense ought to be the front office’s top priority this winter.

Everything manager Mike Redmond has tried so far to spark the offense has gone for naught.

“We’re just going to keep mixing and matching until we find one [a lineup] that works,” Redmond told reporters before Thursday’s game. “We’ve been trying since April 1.”

The Marlins have lost eight of their past nine games and are in danger of reaching 100 losses on the season for only the second time in franchise history. In order to avoid a triple-digit number in the loss column, they will need to go no worse than 14-16 over the remaining 30 games. Given they have gone 10-20 over their previous 30 with no sign of letup, 100 losses is a distinct possibility.

Gonzalez wasn’t sharp early, but the Marlins couldn’t take advantage. The Marlins had the Hialeah native pinned against the wall in the second, loading the bases with two outs.

But the inning came to an unfulfilling end for the Marlins. Ed Lucas, who was 1 for 19 with runners in scoring position and two outs entering play Thursday, was retired on a shallow fly ball to center.

“We’re waiting on a two-out knock that never comes,” Redmond said.

The Marlins didn’t have many chances after that. Gonzalez struck out five over the next three innings and retired 16 of the final 17 batters he faced before his exit after seven.

Koehler fell to 3-9 with the loss after giving up a two-run homer to Bryce Harper in the fourth and a three-run shot to Jayson Werth in the sixth. Sam Dyson, who was called up Thursday as reinforcement for a tired bullpen, gave up three runs on five hits in two innings.

“Things kind of unraveled,” Koehler said.

• Because of Wednesday’s rain delay that forced the Marlins’ bullpen to cover 6 1/3 innings, the club

called up the right-hander Dyson to replace Arquimedes Caminero, who was optioned to Triple A New Orleans after pitching one inning in the 4-3 loss Wednesday and giving up a game-tying home run to Jayson Werth.

Coming up

•  Friday: Marlins RHP Jose Fernandez (10-5, 2.30 ERA) at Atlanta Braves RHP Julio Teheran (10-7, 3.08), 7:30 p.m., Turner Field.

•  Saturday: Marlins RHP Jacob Turner (3-5, 3.12) at Braves LHP Mike Minor (13-5, 2.99), 7:10 p.m., Turner Field.

•  Scouting report: Fernandez will be making his first career start against the Braves. Fernandez has held opponents to two runs or fewer in each of his past eight starts. In his eight starts since his All-Star Game appearance, Fernandez has gone 5-0 with a 1.33 ERA.

Read more Miami Marlins stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category