Clarence Brown wasnt with South Miamis football team when it fell painfully short of making the playoffs last season.
The Cobras hope he can be a difference-maker who helps them avoid the same fate this year.
Brown, who transferred from Doral Academy, ran for 132 yards and three touchdowns on 14 attempts Wednesday to lead South Miami to a season-opening victory against Sunset at Tropical Park.
I feel like we really have something good for ourselves, Brown said. I put in that hard work in the summer because I couldnt practice with the team in the spring. That was tough, but I think we have a chance to go far this season.
South Miami (1-0) lost a tiebreaker against Coral Gables last season, falling short of clinching the runner-up spot in District 14-8A. The district got a little bigger this season, adding Miami Beach a playoff team last season in Class 7A.
But the Cobras hope an improved running game will give them an edge.
We started strong and built on what we worked on in the summer, South Miami coach David Gray said. Clarence is a proven runner and the blocking we gave him helped things come together. Were bigger on the line this year and with Clarence in there, its a perfect fit.
Brown scored twice in the first quarter on touchdown runs of 11 and 5 yards to give South Miami a 16-0 lead.
Senior kicker Adrian Izquierdo made field goals from 27 and 30 yards.
South Miami also did damage through the air, as junior quarterback Patrick Coats fired a perfectly timed 54-yard touchdown pass to senior Anthony Truesdell.
The Cobras kept Sunset off the scoreboard until late in the fourth quarter when Jordan Fiore broke through for a 28-yard touchdown.
Truesdell and Hajjii Frederick each recovered fumbles for South Miami and the Cobras special teams blocked a punt that led to an early touchdown.
SOUTH MIAMI 39,
SM- FG Izquierdo 27
SM- Brown 11 run (run failed)
SM- Brown 5 run (Izquierdo kick)
SM- FG Izquierdo 30
SM- Truesdell 54 pass from Coats (kick failed)
SM- Palacio 5 run (Izquierdo kick)
SM- Brown 18 run (Izquierdo kick)
SUN- Fiore 28 run (Piniero kick)
Rushing (att-yds) -- SUN: Morrison 2-3, Dominguez 2-18, Laguerre 14-19, Doctor 12-20, Fiore 2-31. SM: Roberts 1-(-2), Sanchez 1-0, Coats 1-3, Piloto 1-7, Brown 2-25, Palacio 5-27, Brown 14-132.
Passing (comp-att-int, yds)-- SUN: Laguerre 3-10-0, 20. SM: Rincon 2-4-0, 16, Piloto 1-4-0, 23, Coats 7-10-1, 129.
Receiving (rec-yds-TD) -- SUN: Morrison 1-9, Galbon 2-11. SM: Brown 1-4, Roberts 1-11, Washington 1-11, Rincon 1-12, Palacio 4-45, Truesdell 2-85.
The Cardinal Gibbons boys and girls swimming teams defeated Coconut Creek and Northeast at a three-team meet at Northeast on Wednesday.
Charles Mahalec, Andrew Zielinski and Fisher Crist all won two individual events for the Chiefs boys. Mahalec won the 200- and 500-meter freestyle, Zielinski came in first place in the short-distance 50- and 100-meter freestyle events, and Crist was the victor in the 200-meter individual medley and 100-meter breaststroke.
On the girls side, Elizabeth Ryder won the 200-meter freestyle and 100-meter fly, and Regan Byrne finished first in the 100-meter breaststroke and the 200-meter IM.
• Boys Results Cardinal Gibbons 108, Coconut Creek 12; Cardinal Gibbons, 93, Northeast 52; Northeast 81, Coconut Creek 10 200 medley: CG 1:48.31; 200 free: Charles Mahalec 2:05.52; (CG) 200 IM: Fisher Crist 2:23.3 (CG) 2; 50 free: Andrew Zielinski (CG) 23.88; 1-meter diving: Zach Allen (CG) 287.20; 100 fly: Chad Moody (CG) 54.10; 100 free: Andrew Zielinski (CG) 53.62; 500 free: Charles Mahalec (CG) 6.01; 200 free: NE 1:49.26; 100 back: Chad Moody (CG) 55.85; 100 breast: Fisher Crist (CG) 1:12.76; 400 relay: CG 3:39.75.
• Girls Results Cardinal Gibbons 115, Coconut Creek 0; Cardinal Gibbons 88, Northeast 59; Northeast 92, Coconut Creek 0 200 medley: CTG 2:09.91; 200 free: Elizabeth Ryder (CG) 2:16.52; 200 IM: Regan Byrne (CG) 2:36.15; 50 free: Osianna McReed (NE) 26.02; 100 fly: Elizabeth Ryder (CG) 1:06.30; 100 free: Jade Chalkley (NE) 1:07.32; 500 free: Kelly Gest (CG) 6:11.56; 200 relay: NE 2.69; 100 back: Brooke Gest (CG) 1:12.45; 100 breast: Regan Byrne (CG) 1:18.89; 400 relay: CG 4:45.63.
• Coral Park d. Krop 25-21, 19 -25, 26-24, 25-14: Chantel Guerrero 10 kills. Karla Pereda 8 kills, 3 aces. Natalee Rivera 7 kills, 6 aces. CP 1-1.
• Archbishop Carroll d. Keys Gate Charter 23-25, 25-17, 25-22, 25-15: Paula Lopez 9 kills, 7 aces, 16 digs. Sam Diaz 7 kills, 2 blocks. Jennifer Igbebike 5 kills, 6 blocks. Sam Lorenzo 22 assists, 3 kills, 2 aces. CAR 1-0.
• Palmer Trinity d. International Studies 25-8, 25-10, 25-6: Valerie Macualay 6 aces, 20 assists. Danielle Littke 6 kills, 6 assists. Kristen Fernandez 7 aces, 10 digs. Ellie Nosich 3 kills, 3 aces. PT 2-0.
• Sagemont d. Hialeah Educational Academy 25-7, 25-13, 25-10: Nikki Rodriguez 21points, 7 kills.
• Boca Raton d. Cardinal Gibbons 25-21, 15-25, 25-20, 25-15: Kassie Akouri-Tejedor 21 assists, 4 kills, 7 digs, 9 points, 4 aces. CG 2-1.
• Southridge d. Homestead 25-18, 25-13, 25-23: Ashley Lewis 4 kills, 3 blocks. Alexis Doskow 6 aces. Deishaly Morales 8 aces.
• MAST Academy d. Northwestern 25-11, 25-11, 25-12: Christina Soto 16 assists, 15 kills. Mia Boloix 8 kills.
• Late Tuesday MAST Academy d. Miami Central 25-11, 25-17, 25-7: Christina Soto 16 assists, 23 kills. Mia Boloix 15 kills.
• Late Tuesday Coral Reef d. Sunset 19-25, 25-17, 25-21, 25-15: Adara Anselmo 15 kills, 18 digs, 4 aces. Kristine Rios 4 kills, 7 aces, 5 digs, 3 blocks. Andrea Alespeiti 9 blocks, 8 kills. CR 1-0.
• North Broward Prep 181, Oxbridge Academy 194 (at Osprey Point par 36): Claire Fitzgerald (NBP) 34, Hannah Leiner (NBP) 35, Paige Lee Garris (OA) 38, Charlotte Kirk (OA) 46, Rina Arai (NBP) 54, Danni Rocco (OA) 54, Madie Anderson (OA) 56, Emma Rabinowitz (NBP) 58.
North Miami vs. American (N. Miami), 7
Barrington Christian vs. Keys Gate (Harris), 4
Southwest vs. Coral Park (Tropical), 7
Varela vs. Coral Reef (Southridge), 4
Westland vs. Hialeah Gardens (Milander), 7
HML vs. Miami High (Curtis), 7
Hillel vs. Miami Country Day (Country Day), 7
North Miami Beach vs. Jackson (Traz), 7
Ronald Reagan vs. Monsignor Pace (Pace), 7
Douglas vs. West Broward (Flanagan), 7
Piper vs. Hollywood Hills (McArthur), 7
Colonial Christian at Redland Christian, 4
Pinecrest Prep at Miami Christian 4:30
Northwestern at Central, 5
American at Mourning, 5
Carrollton at Florida Christian, 5
Reagan at Hialeah Gardens, 5
South Miami at Coral Park, 5
Miami Country Day at La Salle, 5
Miami High at International Studies, 5
Ransom Everglades at Keys Gate 5
Booker T. Washington at Jackson, 5
Saint Brendan at Gulliver 5
North Miami Beach at North Miami, 5
Southridge at Coral Reef, 5
TERRA at South Dade, 5
Hialeah at Hialeah-Miami Lakes, 5
MAST Academy at Carol City, 5
Greater Miami Academy at Westminster Christian, 5
Hebrew Academy at Divine Savior, 7
Palmetto at Killian, 7:15
Coral Gables at Lourdes, 7:15
Sunset at Varela, 7:15
Ferguson at Braddock, 7:15
Coconut Creek at Pompano Beach, 4:30
Coral Glades vs. Coral Springs (Home), 6
Deerfield Beach vs. Taravella (Taravella), 6
Dillard at American Heritage, 4:30
Everglades vs. Flanagan (Flanagan), 4:30
Nova vs. Fort Lauderdale (Home), 4:30
Hallandale at Archbishop McCarthy,4:30
McArthur at West Broward, 4:30
Stranahan vs. Miramar (Miramar), 6
St. Thomas Aquinas at Plantation, 6
South Broward vs. Western (Western), 4:30
Central at American Heritage, 7:30
Archbishop McCarthy at Gulliver, 4
Homestead vs. Boyd Anderson (B.A.), 7
Calvary Christian at Westminster Academy, 7
Western vs. Cardinal Gibbons (Gibbons), 7
Monarch vs. Coconut Creek (C.Creek), 7
Coral Springs vs. Cooper City (Cooper), 7
Nova vs. Coral Glades (Coral Glades), 7
Coral Springs Charter at Key West, 7
Coral Springs Chr. At First Baptist, 7
Northeast vs. Deerfield Beach (Deerfield), 7
Plantation vs. Dillard (Dillard), 7
Everglades vs. South Broward (S.Broward), 7
Stranahan vs. Flanagan (Flanagan), 7
Fort Lauderdale vs. Pine Crest (Pine Crest), 7
Hallandale vs. McArthur (McArthur), 7
Miramar at South Plantation, 7
Dade Christian at North Broward Prep, 7
Pines Charter at Gulf Coast, 7
Pompano Beach at Ransom, 7:30
Somerset Academy vs. Mater Academy Charter (Pace), 7:30
University School vs. Taravella (C.Springs), 7
Berean Christian vs. Zion Lutheran (Deerfield Middle), 7
Archbishop Carroll at Coral Shores, 7
Archbishop Curley vs. Benjamin (Home), 7
Braddock vs. Naples Barron Collier (Naples Barron Collier), 7
Killian vs. Carol City (Traz Powell), 7:30
Champagnat vs. Doral Academy (Doral), 7
Columbus vs. South Dade (Harris), 7:30
Coral Gables at Southridge, 7:30
Krop vs. Edison (Curtis), 7:30
Miami Palmetto vs. Ferguson (Tropical), 7:30
Florida Christian at Saint Andrews, 7
Goleman at Naples Golden Gate,7:30
Miami Springs vs. Hialeah (Milander), 7:30
Pope John Paul II vs. LaSalle ( LaSalle), 7:30
Miami Beach vs. Mourning (N. Miami), 7:30
Palmer Trinity vs. Boca Christian, 4
Westminster Christian vs. Moore Haven (Moore Haven), 6:30