CUBA

U.S.-Cuba talks on direct mail service proposed for next month

 

jtamayo@ElNuevoHerald.com

Cuba has proposed that a U.S. government delegation visit Havana next month for a second round of talks since June on resuming direct postal services, interrupted for the past 50 years, knowledgeable officials said Wednesday.

Mail service between the United States and Cuba was cancelled in 1963 as Washington tightened economic sanctions on Havana. Letters and packages now go through third countries such as Mexico, Canada or Panama.

Cuba proposed the talks be held Sept. 16 in Havana, according to the officials, who asked for anonymity because they were not authorized to comment on the issue. The U.S. Department of State said it had no immediate comment on this report.

Talks on reopening the postal service took place in 2009 in Havana, but the Obama administration cancelled the contacts after U.S. government contractor Alan P. Gross was sentenced to 15 years in a Havana prison for delivering sophisticated communications equipment to Cuba’s tiny Jewish community.

The mail talks were resumed in Washington June 17-18, however, and the following month the two sides also renewed talks on migration issues, considered far more important to the bilateral relations.

After the June talks, the Cuban government declared that those meetings had been satisfactory and helpful even though the issue of direct mail service was subject to unspecified “obstacles” because of the U.S. embargo on the island.

Cuba presented an analysis of its international mail services at the talks, according to the declaration published in the government-controlled Cubadebate web site, and “agreed to continue the conversations in the coming months.”

State Department officials maintained at the time that the mail talks were purely technical in nature and did not reflect any change in the U.S. policy toward Cuba.

The United States is the destination of one out of every four packages and letters mailed from Cuba, according to official Havana figures, while mail and packages sent from the United States account for 42 percent of the total received on the island.

The June talks were headed by Lea Emerson, director of international postal matters for the U.S. Postal Service, and José Ramón Cabañas Rodríguez, head of the Cuban diplomatic mission in Washington.

Read more Cuba stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Elsa Lopez looks at her clothes and shoes she wore when she left Cuba with her parents at the age of two at the time. Her items are among several donated by Exiles on display at the VIP opening and presentation of the The Exile Experience: Journey to Freedom, at the Freedom Tower. The exhibit is a pictorial account of the struggles that the Cuban exile community has endured since Fidel Castro's rise to power, and the successes they have achieved in the United States, organized and curated by the Miami Dade College and The Miami Herald, on Wednesday September 10, 2014.

    MIAMI

    Exhibition chronicles Cuban exiles story

    More than 1,000 people crammed into the Freedom Tower Wednesday night for a peek at an exhibition that honors one of the city’s oldest buildings – and captures the tales of hundreds of thousands of Cubans who fled the island and made Miami their new home.

  •  
This is the raft on which 16 Cubans sailed from Cuba to Alligator Reef Light off Upper Matecumbe Key this week.

    THE KEYS

    Cuban migrants found suffering from dehydration off the Keys

    Sixteen Cuban migrants were intercepted off the Upper Keys on Wednesday afternoon, and seven of them needed medical attention after suffering from extreme dehydration.

  •  
Sixteen migrants are found crammed in this tiny boat around Alligator Lighthouse, which is about four miles offshore of Islamorada in the FLorida Keys.

    IMMIGRATION

    More than a dozen Cuban migrants rescued at sea in Keys; several taken to hospital

    A small blue homemade boat with a blue-and-white sail was discovered floating near Alligator Reef Lighthouse, about four miles offshore of Islamorada, on Wednesday. Crammed inside the motorless vessel were 16 Cuban migrants lying down, suffering from dehydration, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category