1. Daytime classes are canceled at Miami Dade College’s Liberty City campus after a speeding car crashed into the entrance, killing one and injuring several more. Classes are likely to resume Tuesday evening.
2. Talk about divided loyalties: The man of the moment is Howard Schnellenberger, architect of UM’s first national championship team and the coach who built the FAU program from scratch. The Owls and Canes are preparing to play each other Friday at Sun Life Stadium, their first meeting and a chance for the former coach of both teams to be honored.
3. Former Miami Lakes Mayor Michael Pizzi and Sweetwater Mayor Manuel Maroño, along with lobbyists Richard Candia and Jorge Forte, filed court papers seeking to put off their Tuesday arraignment until Sept. 20. They are charged in federal court with accepting kickbacks.
4. Miami Commissioner Francis Suarez has pulled out of the city’s mayoral race, saying a series of miscues is threatening to become too stressful for his pregnant wife.
5. South Florida weather will be drier, with a 20 percent chance of rain. But some thunderstorms are forecast for the afternoon. Highs will be near 90. The rest of the week will offer a similar pattern.