Marlins 3, Rockies 0

Jose Fernandez provides another fun night, leads Miami Marlins past Rockies

 

Jose Fernandez, the 21-year-old Cuban phenom, enjoyed more success in Miami by shutting down the Rockies on Saturday.

 
Miami Marlins pitchers Jose Fernandez and Henderson Alvarez react as Colorado's Corey Dickerson strikes out in the ninth inning of the Miami Marlins vs Colorado Rockies game at the Marlins Park in Little Havana in Miami on Saturday, August 24, 2013.
Miami Marlins pitchers Jose Fernandez and Henderson Alvarez react as Colorado's Corey Dickerson strikes out in the ninth inning of the Miami Marlins vs Colorado Rockies game at the Marlins Park in Little Havana in Miami on Saturday, August 24, 2013.
Pedro Portal / Staff Photo

mnavarro@MiamiHerald.com

He might not have many starts left before the Marlins pull the plug on his rookie season, but Jose Fernandez hasn’t stopped serving notice that even if he doesn’t pitch deep into September, he’s worthy of some hardware at season’s end.

He also hasn’t stopped having fun.

The 21-year-old Cuban right-hander snagged a line drive off the bat of All-Star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki in the first, laid down a surprise bunt he nearly beat out in the fifth, and tossed seven scoreless innings Saturday night to earn his 10th win of the season. The 3-0 victory over the visiting Rockies snapped the Marlins’ losing streak at four games.

“Jose just goes out there and literally has fun,” said Marlins center fielder Christian Yelich, who got the first of four Marlins hits. “Then he goes out there and gives us seven strong innings on top of it. That’s all you can ask for.”

A crowd of 23,333 at Marlins Park was treated to another Fernandez home victory. How good has Fernandez been at home this year? Well, nobody in the majors has been better.

In 13 home starts this season, Fernandez has posted a 7-0 record and major-league-leading 1.29 ERA, and has not allowed more than two earned runs in any of those starts. Since going to the All-Star Game in July, Fernandez is 5-0 with a 1.33 ERA, 66 strikeouts and only 14 walks including a 3-0 record with a 0.82 ERA in August.

“He just continues to go out there and pitch outstanding, keep us in the ball game and give us a chance to win,” Marlins manager Mike Redmond said. “For our offense, we obviously haven’t scored a lot of runs lately, and he shut them out, which was huge.”

The Marlins got all the offense they needed in the fourth against Rockies right-hander Jeff Manship (0-4, 6.86 ERA). Giancarlo Stanton opened with a double and then scored when Ed Lucas stroked a one-out single down the third-base line. Adeiny Hechavarria followed with a triple to center to make it 2-0 before Jake Marisnick drove in the Marlins shortstop with a sacrifice fly to right.

Steve Cishek pitched the ninth and picked up his 23rd consecutive save, the third-longest streak in the majors.

But the story was Fernandez, who shared a laugh with Tulowitzki when he snatched his line drive out of the air in the first and then tipped his cap when Todd Helton got the last of the Rockies’ four hits in the seventh. Fernandez struck out eight and walked none.

The only time he didn’t make his manager happy was when he laid down a bunt in the fifth. It’s a play Fernandez said he has been working on.

“I don’t know what he was thinking,” Redmond said. “He’s not going to be flying down the line anymore.”

Fernandez — who leads all major-league rookie starters with a 2.30 ERA and ranks third among all starters behind the Dodgers’ Clayton Kershaw (1.72) and Mets’ Matt Harvey (2.25) — doesn’t know when the Marlins are going to shut him down for sure. But with 152 2/3 innings logged so far this season, it’s likely his last start won’t slide past Sept.10, when the Marlins play host to the Braves.

“I was long shut down at this time of the year last year,” Fernandez said. “It feels good to be here, working, helping my team out.”

Redmond said the team is formulating a plan for Fernandez now and it’s likely they could bring up a couple of starting pitchers from the minors when rosters expand in September to get a look.

Polanco update

Third baseman Placido Polanco, on the seven-day disabled list with a concussion since Monday, moved from the stationary bike on Friday to taking ground balls in the infield Saturday.

“Polanco is feeling much better,” Redmond said. “The plan is for him to take grounders, see how it feels. Maybe [he’ll hit Sunday]. We’re not really going on a structured plan.”

COMING UP

•  Sunday: Marlins RHP Jacob Turner (3-4, 3.02) vs. Rockies LHP Jorge De La Rosa (13-6, 3.21), 1:10 p.m., Marlins Park.

•  Monday: Off.

•  Scouting report: Turner, who hasn’t won since July 10, has three losses in a row and has combined for 25 walks over his past seven starts. De La Rosa tossed six scoreless against the Marlins in a win in July.

Read more Miami Marlins stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category