The Dodgers announced that legendary broadcaster Vin Scully would return next year for a 65th season. To put that in perspective, Scullys career has lasted almost as long as the NCAAs investigation of Miami.
That reminds me. Its college football season! Week 1 kicks off Thursday for some schools, and the Miami Hurricanes open Friday night at home against FAU. Then on Saturday its FIU at Maryland and Florida at home against Toledo, with FSU opening Monday night at Pitt.
Nationally, the big story in college football is the reign of two-time defending champion and preseason favorite Alabama, a dynasty that has coach Nick Saban so proud he feels 5-feet tall.
Another big story line is the turmoil surrounding Heisman winner Johnny Manziel, under investigation for reportedly being paid for autographs. He now goes by the nickname Johnny Signed Football.
Of course, the major story locally continues to be that the bumbling NCAA continues to delay a verdict in its probe of UM in the case of renegade booster Nevin Shapiro.
I dont wanna say this investigation has been going on an absurdly long time now, but the improper benefits Shapiro is alleged to have provided Canes players included bootleg booze during Prohibition, parties with flappers and free use of his Model T.
• The Little League World Series championship game is Sunday on national TV. History indicates that 1 percent of all boys who reach this stage go on to big-league careers, while the other 99 percent find its all downhill from here and spiral into unfulfilled lives of broken relationships, dead-end jobs and alcoholism.
• I truly enjoyed accompanying the 1972 Dolphins on last weeks White House visit. And everything would have gone fine if I hadnt been swarmed by Secret Service after playfully blindsiding the president.
• The Dolphins lose tight end Dustin Keller to an injury and there is wailing about how crushing that is. The Patriots lose one tight end to an injury and another to a murder charge, and theyre still a Super Bowl contender. Im not sayin, Im just sayin.
• As a security measure, NFL stadiums now require bags carried by fans to be of the clear plastic variety. Officials worry bad guys will in turn develop guns that look like ham sandwiches.
• We dont look very good, apparently. ESPNs 2013 Uni Watch, a ranking of the 122 team uniforms in the Big Four sports based on aesthetics, has the Heat ranked 26th, the Panthers 58th, the Dolphins 70th and the Marlins 110th.
• Ryan Fraud I mean Braun finally admitted using performance-enhancing drugs during his 2011 MVP season. His MVP award will now be called the MVPED.
• Sentences I Never Imagined Writing (one in a series): Marlins rookie reliever Arquimedes Euclides Caminero was named after the Greek mathematicians Archimedes and Euclid.
• An ESPN poll of NBA experts named the Heat the best team in the Eastern Conference entering the coming season. No duh, said the rest of the country.
• Heat coach Erik Spoelstra gave a pep talk to the Tennessee Vols football team coached by friend Butch Jones. I hear Spo said the keys to a great season were hard work, dedication and LeBron James.
• That reminds me. The Miami-Dade policeman who gave LeBron an unauthorized escort to Jay Z/ Justin Timberlake concert will undergo informal counseling as his only discipline. Counselor: Next time, ask LeBron to please not post a video about it on Instagram. Cop: Good idea. We done?