SYRIA

Doctors cite deaths, injuries from toxin attack in Syria as Obama ponders lethal action

 

McClatchy Washington Bureau

President Barack Obama met with his national security team to discuss his options in Syria on Saturday, as an international relief group said Syrian hospitals reportedly treated 3,600 patients displaying symptoms of chemical weapons usage after an attack that killed civilians.

Obama convened the Saturday summit at the White House amid pressure for the administration to respond to the attack in Syria, which if confirmed, would be Syrian President Bashar Assad’s most flagrant violation yet of Obama’s “red line” warning against the use of chemical warfare.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told reporters Saturday that Obama had asked the Defense Department for “options” in a situation that Obama described on Friday as a “big event of grave concern.”

U.S. defense officials told The Associated Press that the Navy had sent a fourth warship armed with ballistic missiles into the eastern Mediterranean Sea but without immediate orders for any missile launch into Syria. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss ship movements publicly.

A White House official said Saturday Obama had directed U.S. intelligence agencies to “gather facts and evidence” to determine what happened and that “once we ascertain the facts, the president will make an informed decision about how to respond.”

The official said the U.S. has a “range of options available” and that Obama would “act very deliberately so that we’re making decisions consistent with our national interest as well as our assessment of what can advance our objectives in Syria.”

Doctors Without Borders said Saturday that three hospitals in Syria it supports are reporting that they received approximately 3,600 patients displaying symptoms of exposure to toxic chemicals on the day of the attack last week in eastern Damascus. Of those patients, 355 reportedly died.

Doctors Without Borders has not been able to access the facilities due to “significant security risks,” the international medical group said, adding that it has a “strong and reliable collaboration” with medical networks and hospitals in the area.

Medical staff working in the Syrian facilities provided detailed information to the group’s doctors regarding “large numbers of patients arriving with symptoms including convulsions, excess saliva, pinpoint pupils, blurred vision and respiratory distress,” said Dr. Bart Janssens, Doctors Without Borders’ director of operations.

Patients were treated using atropine, a drug used to treat neurotoxic symptoms, which the aid group said it’s now trying to replenish.

Janssens said his group “can neither scientifically confirm the cause of these symptoms nor establish who is responsible for the attack.” But he added, “the reported symptoms of the patients, in addition to the epidemiological pattern of the events — characterized by the massive influx of patients in a short period of time, the origin of the patients, and the contamination of medical and first aid workers — strongly indicate mass exposure to a neurotoxic agent.”

He said the use would “constitute a violation of international humanitarian law, which absolutely prohibits the use of chemical and biological weapons.”

In Syria, Abu Ahmed, a pharmacist who has been volunteering as a medic for the rebels for two years, said he arrived on the scene at 5 a.m., two hours after the attack, and that he and others treating the injured became sick.

“The people helping did get sick with symptoms like headache, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea,” he said Saturday via Skype. “I had headache only, and diarrhea.”

He said the medical staff of 72, includes five doctors who had gloves and masks and suffered fewer problems.

He said the staff treated about 600 people and about 150 of them died, the majority of them children who had been sleeping in basements for protection from the shelling.

“‘There has been very bad fighting the last two days,” he said.

The administration has expressed caution about intervening in what Obama has called a “sectarian, complex” conflict, but the use of chemical weapons would be the second transgression since Obama a year ago warned Damascus that the use of chemical weapons was a “red line” for the U.S., and critics say the administration risks American credibility if it does not respond more aggressively.

Obama, however, expressed caution in a CNN interview that aired Friday, warning against “very expensive, difficult, costly interventions that actually breed more resentment in the region.”

And although Obama underscored that the use of chemical weapons “starts getting to some core national interests,” he made it clear he’s concerned about taking military action without a U.N. Security Council resolution.

With Assad’s ally, Russia, likely to use its veto to block such a resolution, one option would be for Obama to follow the precedent set by former President Bill Clinton with the 1999 U.S.-led air campaign to halt Serbia’s bloody onslaught against Kosovo’s independence-seeking Albanian majority.

Denied Russian support for a U.N. resolution, Clinton used the backing of NATO and the justification of stopping the slaughter and ethnic cleansing of Albanian civilians to launch the air campaign.

In the case of Syria, Obama could look to build international support for U.S. military strikes against Syria from the Arab League, which suspended Damascus from its membership in 2011, and from NATO.

Defense Secretary Hagel did not rule out the possibility of unilateral U.S. action, but said the U.S. is “working in close consultation with our international partners on this.”

The White House says Obama has all but ruled out U.S. military on the ground in Syria. Hagel noted that the U.S. has a battery of F-16 fighter jets in Jordan, and Patriot surface-to-air missiles in Turkey. A fourth Tomahawk cruise missile naval destroyer has been moved closer to Syria to supplement three warships already deployed in the eastern Mediterranean Sea.

Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has warned of the risks of U.S. military intervention in Syria, telling Congress in July that “should the regime’s institutions collapse in the absence of a viable opposition, we could inadvertently empower extremists or unleash the very chemical weapons we seek to control.”

Hagel, warning of the possibility of a follow-up chemical weapons attack in Syria, said a decision on a response by the United States and its international partners “should be made swiftly.”

In Tehran, the AP reported that Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman, Abbas Arakji, warned that an American military intervention in Syria will "complicate matters."

“Sending warships will not solve the problems but will worsen the situation,” Arakji said in comments carried by Iran's Arabic-language TV Al-Alam. He added that any such U.S. move does not have international backing and that Iran “rejects military solutions.”

Prothero, a McClatchy special correspondent, reported from Beirut. Clark reported from Washington. McClatchy reporters Jonathan Landay and James Rosen also contributed to this report.

(Email:lclarkmcclatchydc.com; twitterlesleyclark)

Read more World stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
South Korean Coast Guard officers try to rescue missing passengers from a sunken ferry in the water off the southern coast near Jindo, south of Seoul, South Korea, Thursday, April 17, 2014. Fears rose Thursday for the fate of more than 280 passengers still missing more than 24 hours after their ferry flipped onto its side and filled with water off the southern coast of South Korea. (AP Photo/Yonhap) KOREA OUT

    Fears rise for missing in SKorea ferry sinking

    Strong currents, rain and bad visibility hampered an increasingly anxious search Thursday for 287 passengers still missing a day after their ferry flipped onto its side and sank in cold waters off the southern coast of South Korea.

  •  
South Korean rescue helicopters fly over a South Korean passenger ship, trying to rescue passengers from the ship in water off the southern coast in South Korea, Wednesday, April 16, 2014. A government office said the  passenger ship carrying about 470 people have sent a distress call off the southern coast after it began tittering to one side.

    2 dead after ferry sinks off South Korean coast

    Dozens of boats, helicopters and divers scrambled Wednesday to rescue more than 470 people, including 325 high school students on a school trip, after a ferry sank off South Korea's southern coast, killing at least two and injuring 14, officials said.

  • Dutch arrest girl whose tweet threatened airline

    Police in the Netherlands have arrested a 14-year-old girl on suspicion of threatening American Airlines in a tweet.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category