So if they think one of their cover men can play center field, they will be more inclined to keep the extra cornerback.
Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson alternated at the nickel corner position in practice, but don’t discount draft picks Will Davis and Jamar Taylor, who is expected to play Saturday despite still having occasional pain from sports hernia surgery.
Also, on the offensive line, do they go with superior talent (like a Louis) over versatility (Josh Samuda, who can play anywhere on the interior)? The Dolphins paid Nate Garner, who probably will miss the rest of the preseason with a shoulder injury, so they likely want to keep him.
If Garner gets healthy and the Dolphins think he can be their backup center, it could make Samuda expendable — even though he started the first three exhibition games.
And every year there is a surprise cut who everyone assumed was on the team. Miami already had one by releasing Marshall. Is there another? Do the Dolphins go with two quarterbacks and cut Pat Devlin? Do they roll with their young defensive linemen and let Vaughn Martin walk?
Lots of unknowns. Here’s a look at who’s in, who’s out and who needs to finish strong:
• Offense (12): QB Ryan Tannehill; RBs Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas; WRs Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson; TE Charles Clay; OL Jonathan Martin, Richie Incognito, Mike Pouncey, John Jerry, Tyson Clabo.
• Defense (14): DEs Cameron Wake, Olivier Vernon, Dion Jordan; DTs Randy Starks, Jared Odrick, Paul Soliai; LBs Dannell Ellerbe, Koa Misi, Philip Wheeler; CBs Brent Grimes, Dimitri Patterson, Jamar Taylor; Ss Reshad Jones, Chris Clemons.
• Specialists (3): K Caleb Sturgis; P Brandon Fields; LS John Denney.
• Offense (8): QB Matt Moore; RBs Mike Gillislee, Marcus Thigpen; TEs Dion Sims, Michael Egnew; OL Nate Garner, Lance Louis, Dallas Thomas.
• Defense (7): DT Kheeston Randall; DE Derrick Shelby; LB Jason Trusnik; CBs Will Davis, Nolan Carroll; Ss Jimmy Wilson, Kelcie McCray.
On the bubble
Offense (12): QB Pat Devlin; RB Jonas Gray; FB Evan Rodriguez; WRs Marvin McNutt, Chad Bumphis, Rishard Matthews, Julius Pruitt; TE Kyle Miller; OL Will Yeatman, Josh Samuda, Sam Brenner, Jeff Adams.
• Defense (10): DEs Vaughn Martin, Tristan Okpalaugo, Antwan Applewhite; DT A.J. Francis; LBs Jelani Jenkins, Josh Kaddu, Austin Spitler, Jonathan Freeny; CB R.J. Stanford; S Don Jones.
• Offense (8): QB Aaron Corp; FB Jorvorskie Lane; WRs Andrell Smith, Brian Tyms, Keenan Davis, Jeff Fuller; OL Chris Barker, Andrew McDonald.
• Defense (10): DE Emeka Onyenekwu; DT Tracy Robertson; LBs Nathan Williams, David Hinds, Lee Robinson, Michael Clay; CBs Julian Posey, De’Andre Presley; Ss Keelan Johnson, Jordan Kovacs.