Miami Dolphins

Dolphins’ Randy Starks is ready; Dion Jordan unsure

 

Randy Starks is expected to play Saturday against the Bucs, but Dion Jordan’s status for the regular-season opener remains uncertain.

dneal@MiamiHerald.com

In NFL math, Randy Starks represents, if not a given, at least a known to the Dolphins: veteran, steady, hasn’t missed a regular-season game since the iPhone could be called “newfangled.”

They know he will play Saturday against Tampa Bay in the dress-rehearsal exhibition game.

First-round pick Dion Jordan represents X, the unknown. Nobody knows when Jordan, a defensive end, will be back from the reinjured shoulder, only that he won’t be healed in time for this week’s preseason game.

Asked if he would be surprised if he missed the opener, Jordan said, “It’s my body, so I know when I’m ready to go or not ready to go. It wouldn’t be a surprise.”

Dolphins defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle said Wednesday he thinks Jordan will be ready for the opener, but …

“There’s always going to be a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C as you approach the season,” Coyle said. “We have a plan in place to utilize Dion, provided that he’s up and ready to go. I think he’s making strides with his rehab and working with our trainers and strength coaches. So we are ready to implement that plan if, in fact, we get the green light.

“If not, we are proceeding as if we wouldn’t have him in another plan. That’s just part of football where a guy goes down, you’ve got to have a plan. One person doesn’t necessarily completely alter your game plan, so there are other people who can play the role we originally had planned for Dion as well on the current roster.”

Jordan did’t play last week after being a third-down specialist the first two exhibition games. He said he wouldn’t be surprised if he saw some time at linebacker at some point this season.

Jordan tore a labrum last season and wasn’t entirely healed by the draft. But the Dolphins took the plunge anyway. Jordan did say the shoulder was feeling “much better” Thursday as he worked with a coach alongside offensive tackle Nate Garner outside while the rest of the team practiced in the practice bubble.

“It’s frustrating,” Jordan admitted. “Being a rookie, you want to get out there and compete.

“But the most important thing for me is my health, so I’m going to make sure I’m ready to go when I do step out there.”

Saturday represents the preseason opener for Starks after spending August dealing with an ailing knee. He has never missed a regular-season game as a Dolphin and only four in his nine NFL seasons. He hasn’t missed exhibition games, either.

On Saturday, he wants to play however long the starters play to make sure he’s not rusty. But, like many NFL players of a certain age, he clearly has limited enthusiasm for the preseason.

“This is my first time [missing exhibition games],” Starks said with a small smile. “Feels good to be a vet, get those privileges.”

Coyle said that with Starks, Jared Odrick and Paul Soliai, “We feel they will be in a rotation, and they will play fairly evenly depending on the situation as we go through the games.

“We think we’ve got three of the better players at their position around at the defensive spot ... and they’ve all got versatility to be able to play, with Paul and Randy, at the nose and at the tackle,” Coyle said.

Read more Miami Dolphins stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin in the fourth quarter against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013.

    IN MY OPINION

    Armando Salguero: Joe Philbin optimistic about Miami Dolphins despite skeptics

    Joe Philbin welcomes a visitor with a warm smile and firm handshake and for the next 30 minutes enthusiastically talks about his Dolphins with a confidence that belies the coach’s first two seasons in Miami.

  •  
St. Louis Rams seventh-round draft pick Michael Sam listens to a question during a news conference at the NFL football team's practice facility Tuesday, May 13, 2014, in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

    IN MY OPINION

    Greg Cote: Michael Sam is a distraction to embrace, not avoid

    It’s no surprise that Tony Dungy’s comments this week about Michael Sam — comments that on the surface seemed more benign than inflammatory — have created such a national tempest. Sports are a Petri dish for argument and debate under any circumstances, and when you add the politics of religion and gay issues to the mix, the chances of a quietly civil discussion have pretty much left the building.

  •  
<span class="cutline_leadin">building block:</span> Left tackle Branden Albert, above, 

will be the team’s replacement for Jonathan Martin.

    Miami Dolphins’ offensive line is new; time will tell if it’s improved

    The Dolphins’ offensive line, which allowed 58 sacks last season, will have four new starters – and center Mike Pouncey could be out until October. ‘We’ve got a lot of work,’ new left tackle Branden Albert said.

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category