1. Its back to school in Miami-Dade and Broward. The counties are expecting 607,000 students, combined. Be mindful that school speed zones are in effect.
2. Theres a high of 90 today, but relief from the heat may come in the form of some thunderstorms throughout the day. The rest of the week is shaping up to look the same.
3. A toddler who died from abuse at the hands of her mother earlier this year was previously found to be safe by the DCF, despite multiple calls from an abuse hotline about the child. The mother had also signed two safety plans in the past, promising not to use excessive corporal punishment.
4. Jorge Forte, Sweetwater Mayor Manny Maroños longtime friend and business partner, was not shy about being the mayors right hand man. Forte leveraged the relationship to push through city legislation, get government contracts and haul in tens of thousands of dollars in bribes from undercover FBI agents, prosecutors alleged last week.
5. More than 500 people attended a casting call in Gulfstream Park on Sunday for the game show, The Price Is Right. This was the shows first casting call in South Florida. The potential contestants said they are supposed to hear from the show in about six weeks to find out if theyve been chosen for one of the two spots.