The break was a welcome and surprising reprieve from a conflict that has transformed much of the country into a quasi- battlefield between protesters and security forces. Instead of thousands in the streets in pitched battles with security forces, on Sunday there was silence. The biggest chaos was at the morgue where families continued to retrieve their dead, and at the gravesites, where they buried them.
Other government officials directed their anger at the international community, which has condemned the government actions. Earlier in the day, Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmy told reporters that brandishing that assistance will be stopped or suspended is unacceptable, an apparent message to the United States, which is considering cutting $1.5 billion in military and economic aid.
International relations with Egypt should be bigger than any single incident, Fahmy said.
The violence of recent days climaxed six weeks of sit-ins by Morsi backers, who had called for his reinstatement. Their makeshift cities snarled traffic. On Wednesday, government forces stormed the sites. On Friday, in what Islamists called a Day of Rage, the death toll surpassed 1,000 as demonstrators clashed with security forces, leading to more deaths than during the 2011 18-day uprising that led to fall of former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.
According to the state news agency, 79 people were killed Saturday, as Friday protests extended into a second day and a faceoff at el Fateh Mosque in Cairo.
Fahmy said that Egypt was building a democracy and that such efforts take time. He did not speak as to whether the violence could hinder that goal.
We are in the process of establishing democracy, Fahmy said.
Amina Ismail contributed to this report.