Kicker Dan Carpenter, who seems unlikely to beat out rookie Caleb Sturgis, was short on a 54-yard field-goal attempt — three days after Sturgis boomed a 58-yarder in the Jacksonville game. Carpenter made his two other field goal attempts Monday, including one from 50 yards and one inside 40.
Plays of the day
• Linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, who played very well in the Jacksonville game, intercepted a Matt Moore pass in the end zone.
• Moore rallied late in practice, connecting a 40-yard pass to Kenny Stafford, then a 14-yarder to Michael Egnew, followed by a 2-yard pass to Mike Gilislee for a touchdown.
• Ryan Tannehill delivered a gorgeous throw of more than 50 yards to Mike Wallace in 7-on-7 drills.
• During 7-on-7 drills, Pat Devlin threw a touchdown to Rishard Matthews, who has looked good since returning Sunday from a two-week absence because of a knee injury.
• Coach Joe Philbin, when asked what his offense is doing well, said : “We don’t have a lot of mental errors. The work ethic has been good. The leadership has been good. … We clearly have to execute better.”
• Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman said Tannehill has been sharp mentally, and Philbin cited an example: “First play of both games, he redirected the blocking schemes effectively. It’s not like he was out there, ‘Oh my gosh, what’s happening?’ ”
• Tannehill and Dustin Keller have developed strong chemistry, and Tannehill said the fact “he stretches the field is exciting for me. You have a big target who can use his body and separate from linebackers and safeties and catches the ball well. He’s a great route runner.”
• Cornerback Will Davis, who had an interception against Jacksonville, “is doing a great job,” defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle said. “He has very good hands, is very natural catching the ball. He has a tendency of getting himself in the right spot and making a good, quick decision. [Monday] he got his hands on a number of balls.”
Davis had five interceptions and 22 pass deflections at Utah State last season.
• Coyle said the team generally likes to keep five or six cornerbacks and “there’s more depth than we’ve had. We need players to step up and separate themselves from the rest of the group.”
• Philbin said he told offensive tackle Will Yeatman, a former tight end, that his performance against Jacksonville “was the best I’ve seen [from him]. You look like a football player!”
“A little surprised maybe, but I know he has a lot of friends there.”
Tannehill, who played at Texas A&M, on his reaction to reports that Aggies quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel was kicked out of a Texas fraternity party this offseason. The NCAA reportedly is investigating Manziel for receiving money for signing autographs, and Tannehill said: “They’ll get to the bottom of it … Hopefully, we’ll see him on the field this year.”
Tuesday Team is off.
Wednesday 8 a.m. at Davie practice site.
Thursday 8 a.m. at Davie practice site (last practice of training camp).
Friday Team is off.
Saturday Dolphins at Texans, 8 p.m., CBS.