• There is talk the Dolphins could use top draft pick Dion Jordan on special teams. Risky. I say that now to set up my told-ya-so column later should he be injured.
• Saints quarterback Drew Brees was ridiculed for tipping $3 on a $74 takeout order, but was incredulous why. Dear Drew: You signed a $100 million contract. You really want to be the worlds richest cheapskate?
• Aaron Hernandez, the ex-Patriot, claimed his innocence in a letter to a pen pal, thus becoming the millionth accused murderer to tell a crazed admirer he was framed.
• Quotes I Never Imagined Reading (one in a series): From Bears tight end Marcellus Martellus Bennett
• Chiefs offensive coordinator Doug Pederson says Alex Smith is the best quarterback in the NFL. A Breathalyzer for Dougie, please.
• Acting Mariners manager Robby Thompson blew a game by mixing up his right and left arms when signaling from the mound for a reliever. Give him a break. Thats a lot to keep track of!
• Inbee Park chased a fourth consecutive golf major in the Womens British Open this week, and America was as thrilled as it could be not watching a South Korean dominate a sport it barely follows.
• New Orleans NBA team unveiled new uniforms that are blue, red and gold, and yet boring, answering the question, The new look cant possibly be worse than the Pelicans nickname, can it?
Still trying to confirm rumors the WNBA played an all-star game in Connecticut last week. Stay tuned.
• NASCARs most popular driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr.
• U.S. mens soccer team has rolled to American-record 11 international wins in a row. (Is this where we pretend were now on World Cup footing with Brazil and Spain even though none of us believes it?)
• The 2014 Winter Olympics will go on in Sochi, Russia, despite that nations rampant homophobia. Am guessing the Russians will particularly enjoy mens figure skating.
• American 100-meter record holder Tyson Gay tested positive for PEDs, verifying the old Chinese proverb: Even fastest man cannot outrun own urine sample.
• Lionel Messi was a no-show in Chicago for 75 fans who paid $2,500 to meet him. No big loss, fans. Out of uniform and off the soccer field, Lionel pretty much just looks like a really short dark-haired guy.
• Ray Lewis had to cancel his plan to climb Mount Kilimanjaro because of a foot injury. Mount Kilimanjaro did the Squirrel Dance to mock Lewis.
• I read that Calder and Gulfstream are at war. And its true. The other day I saw armies of jockeys from both tracks on horseback, jousting.
• Parting thought: Eagles receiver Riley Cooper, who is white, is in trouble for being caught on video using the N-word. He might have ruined his NFL future. The good news? He can always find work in Paula Deens kitchen.
Visit Gregs Random Evidence of a Cluttered Blog daily at MiamiHerald.com and follow on Twitter @gregcote, on Instagram/upsetbird and on Vine/Greg Cote.