Condo Line

Not much security at gated condo

Q. I live in a gated condominium. Each person has a gate code for people to call to get in. However, once in a while the gate is broken and our remote or card will not open it. There is a "main" code that the delivery people use. Is the property manager allowed to give out this code? I was locked out once because the gate was broken. A yard man gave me the universal or main code. Is it OK for me to use it if needed? Also, can I give it to visitors in case of an emergency?

A.B., Tampa

If the code is given out to anyone, what security do you have? The short answer it is that your community has an unsecure system. It would be better to leave the gate open if it is out of order. The board should review the gate policy and the actions to be taken if the gate is inoperable.

Q. We are a small HOA with 258 homeowners and much common area and seven retention ponds. Our manager has advised us that the premium for our liability insurance on these retention ponds has come due. The amount is substantial and I am wondering if this insurance is required.

A.G., Miami

The board has a fiduciary duty to the members. If you do not carry proper insurance and an accident occurs, the settlement would have to be paid out of the pockets of each member. I must recommend that you carry all insurance needed to protect the members from a financial loss.

Q. Do you have to be a unit owner to file a complaint against a Community Association Manager (CAM)?

C.C., Fort Lauderdale

No, any person can file a complaint against a licensed manager. The CAM receives his or her duties from the board of directors of the association, the documents, and the statutes. If the complaint is about the way he or she performs duties, then you need to send the board of directors a letter with your complaint. If the CAM is performing illegal acts, then you need to report the matter to the police. If the CAM is violating association statutes, then you must send a written signed complaint to the division. Sometimes a CAM is aggressive in rule’s enforcement, but that would be a matter for the board of directors. If the board feels that the CAM is not performing, then it has a right to fire or not renew the contract.

Caution should be used when you file a complaint, as it can have career-ending results for the manager. I suggest that you talk to the board of directors before you make a complaint to the state.

Q. My board has sent me a rules violation letter that my mailbox needs to be replaced or painted. I see many other violations that the board is not addressing. In fact, the board is discriminating against some owners and letting other owners get away with violations. How can I get the board to take action against all violations?

M.M., Broward

First you must correct your violation and then send a letter to the board that you have corrected it. In a second letter, ask the board if it sent violation letters to all the other owners with the same violation. Maybe the board is actively attempting to correct violations and you are not aware of it. The board needs to record inspection reports and keep copies of communications when addressing violations.

If it is selectively enforcing rules, then that is a valid reason to vote in new directors at the next annual meeting.

Write to Condo Line, Richard White, 6039 Cypress Gardens Blvd., #201, Winter Haven, FL 33884-4115, or e-mail Include name and city.

Read more Home & Garden stories from the Miami Herald

This impressive and rather rare vase was made in England by a company that was founded in 1820 to make utilitarian items out of stoneware.


    How old is this vase from my great-grandfather?

    Q: Attached are photos of a vase that once belonged to my great-grandfather. It is marked “Coulton, Burslem” and is decorated with painted poppies and a three-dimensional dragon. It is marked with an emblem with a crown on top and the number 1922. It is 221/2 inches tall. Would it be possible for you to tell me how old it is and the approximate value?

A native ladybug on a firebush in Terri Stephens’ yard.


    The gardener and the ladybugs

    A citizen-scientist documents the ladybugs in her South Dade yard for a research project.

This Wellworth two-piece elongated dual-flush from Kohler comes in a right-side flush option.

    Ask a plumber

    Looking for the ‘right’ flushing toilet

    Q: Our toilet is in the corner of our bathroom very close to a wall on the left hand side of the toilet. I have always been frustrated that the flushing handle is on the left side of the toilet, in a tight spot next to that wall. We’re planning to replace this toilet. Can I get a new toilet with the flushing handle on the right side of the toilet?

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category