The kicker competition continued with Dan Carpenter making two from 35 yards and missing from 46. Carpenter hadnt kicked since going 3 for 5 on field goals and missing an extra point in Mondays scrimmage. Rookie Caleb Sturgis, who was generally sharp on Wednesday, did not kick any field goals on Thursday.
PLAYS OF THE DAY
• Rookie Will Davis had three interceptions two in 11-on-11 drills. Two of his picks were on passes from Pat Devlin; the other was thrown by Matt Moore.
• Tight end Kyle Miller, who has had a good camp, caught a 30-yard pass from Devlin.
• Moore threw a 15-yard touchdown pass to Julius Pruitt on a slant.
• Richard Marshall picked off a pass, ending a stretch of five consecutive practices without an interception by Ryan Tannehill.
• Olivier Vernon had three sacks against left tackle Jonathan Martin in team drills and has had the better of their matchup in camp. But Martin didnt allow a sack against Dion Jordan, who had two against him on Wednesday.
I think its going pretty well, Martin said of his move back to left tackle, where he played at Stanford. You have some good days and some bad days. My goal is to try to be consistent against a talented D-line.
Philbin said there are ways to get both Jordan and Vernon on the field with Cameron Wake at the same time. Well make a decision on a weekly basis for the game plan. Coaches have to figure out, put them in the right roles.
Josh Samuda was the first team right guard in practice. Marshall replaced Dimitri Patterson as the first-team cornerback opposite Brent Grimes. Jimmy Wilson and Kelcie McCray have been the second-team safeties.
• Though Marvin McNutt has been the most productive of the receivers competing for roster spots, Philbin said, He needs to catch the ball a little more consistently.
But Philbin also said: Hes made a lot of plays. Hes a hard guy for defensive backs to get around because of his size. Hes done some good things.
• Philbin said rookie linebacker Jelani Jenkins is really making a mark in pass defense. Smart, quick, picks up the system well. Very good play speed.
• Former Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas visited practice and spoke at length with general manager Jeff Ireland.
We have a lot of volume in. We could never execute these plays crisply in a game. Weve got to narrow the focus down. What can we be great at? What does the quarterback like? The receivers like? ... Its a long way to go.
Philbin, explaining that coaches have installed 95 percent of the offense with the players.
Practice dates and times
SaturdayTeam is off.
SundayDolphins play Cowboys in Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio (8 p.m., NBC)
MondayTeam is off.
All remaining practices will be held at the teams Davie facility and are free and open to the public.