The Dolphins continued to mix and match on the offensive line during Wednesday’s practice, and the unit continued to struggle at times in pass protection and on some running plays, as well.
Nate Garner, Lance Louis and Josh Samuda all shared time with the first team at right guard. It was Louis’ first appearance with the first team since returning from last November’s knee injury, and he appeared rusty.
Meanwhile, Dallas Thomas — who had been playing guard — got work at left and right tackle. Guard John Jerry (knee) remains out. And rookie guard Brian Thomas left practice with an injury.
PLAYS OF THE DAY
• For the second practice in a row, Matt Moore had an interception returned for a touchdown. This time, it was Philip Wheeler who got the pick, off a tip from Brent Grimes.
• Marvin McNutt had a terrific one-handed catch in 7-on-7 drills and made several other catches in 11-on-11 work.
• Defensive tackle Paul Soliai tackled running back Lamar Miller for a safety on a drill from the Dolphins’ 1-yard line.
• After beating Will Yeatman for a sack in Monday’s scrimmage, rookie Dion Jordan beat starting left tackle Jonathan Martin for two sacks in Wednesday’s practice.
Jordan said he played about 10 plays in Monday’s scrimmage: “I did all right. There’s a lot I need to improve on.”
Coach Joe Philbin said Jordan “has very good quickness off the ball. He’s playing a new position. It’s a brave new world for him.”
• Caleb Sturgis, out the previous four days with a groin injury, returned and kicked well, making several field goals from 47 yards and then a 42-yarder to end the scrimmage. But he hit the upright from 43 yards.
• Cornerback Jamar Taylor, out the past week with soreness from a sports hernia, returned to practice but was limited.
• Reflecting on Monday’s scrimmage, Philbin praised rookie cornerback Will Davis for “hustling his tail off and making an exceptional play in the end zone for an interception.” He said guard/center Samuda “has had a good camp” and undrafted Utah rookie Sam Brenner “has shown good poise.”
• Philbin said he told the team Wednesday that the tempo of the offense isn’t quite where he wants it: “I want to see our guys play fast and decisive.”
• Though an extra preseason game and the accompanying extra week of practice increase the risk of injuries, Ryan Tannehill said “it’s a good thing for this team to get an extra week of work. Get a lot of guys some reps.”
“I definitely think I’m improving. Have we made some mistakes? Yes. Have we made some bad throws? Yes. But we’re improving.”
— Tannehill, speaking Wednesday morning about going five practices in a row without an interception.
Practice dates and times
SaturdayTeam is off.
SundayDolphins play Cowboys in Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio (8 p.m., NBC).
MondayTeam is off.
All remaining training camp practices will be held at the team facility in Davie and are free and open to the public.