Pakistani Taliban free dozens of terrorist convicts in daring jail break


McClatchy Foreign Staff

Pakistani Taliban insurgents freed as many as 200 terrorist convicts from a fortress-like prison in the northwest city of Dera Ismail Khan early Tuesday in a raid marked by two hours of automatic weapons fire and about 60 grenade explosions.

Army troops who had surrounded the prison moved into the facility shortly before 5 a.m. after three hours had passed with no fire coming from inside to find that the estimated 100 militants involved in the raid were gone, along with 100 to 200 terrorist convicts, according to initial estimates by prison officials.

The assault was audaciously claimed by Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) while the raid was ongoing. It said some 300 militants had been freed during the raid, an apparently inflated claim because officials said the jail housed only 250 convicted terrorists.

Local police who had attempted to fight the raiders had been overwhelmed by the superior weaponry of the militants, who destroyed a police vehicle with a grenade, and set an armored personnel carrier on fire, killing five officers and wounding nine others. Three civilians died after being hit in the crossfire.

The attackers occupied a girl’s college, several homes and a private hospital, on three sides of the prison, killing the hospital’s security guard before opening fire with automatic rifles and rocket-propelled grenades. The fire provided cover to a small party of attackers who scaled two sections of the prison’s two-yard-thick outer wall and planted explosives powerful enough to blow holes in it. Three bomb-laden vehicles were also driven into other sections of the jail’s walls and entrance by suicide attackers and, amid the chaos, eight militants wearing police uniforms walked in the front gate virtually unopposed.

The militants headed straight for the prison’s top-security wing, where they killed four death-row inmates, before freeing jailed members of the TTP and Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, a Pakistani al Qaida affiliate, and escaping through the breaches in the prison walls.

In all, 13 people died in the attack, while the terrorist raiders’ fatalities were limited to the five suicide bombers.

To prevent hot-pursuit by army troops called in to support the police, the raiders left three booby-trapped vehicles on the prison premises, each containing improvised devices containing 52 pounds of explosives, and left another in the office of the warden. Similar devices were planted in the town hall opposite the prison, while police discovered 15 bombs in an abandoned car at a nearby road junction.

A curfew was declared in Dera Ismail Khan and the neighboring district of Tank as the authorities tried to stop the militant raiders and the freed prisoners from reaching the nearby tribal area of South Waziristan, mountainous parts of which serve as the TTP’s headquarters.

The attack apparently caught prison authorities ill-prepared, despite a warning Saturday from security agencies of an impending attack and rioting by militant inmates on Sunday. Officials at the jail had met earlier Monday to discuss security arrangements but made no changes.

The Taliban staged a similar assault on a jail in the nearby town of Bannu in April 2012, freeing some 400 prisoners, including a notorious bomb-maker.

Hussain is a McClatchy special correspondent.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Trader George Ettinger works on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2014. Financial markets are awaiting the end of a Federal Reserve meeting Wednesday to see whether the Fed sends any clearer signal about the timing of an interest rate increase.

    Asian stocks mostly down after Fed meeting

    Asian stock markets mostly fell Thursday after the U.S. Federal Reserve increased its estimate for the level of the central bank's benchmark interest rate by the end of 2015, surprising investors who expected a slower pace of rate hikes.

FILE - In this  June 13, 2014 file photo, a menu of eel dish is displayed at an eel specialized restaurant in Tokyo. Japan has agreed to cut purchases of eel fry from neighboring East Asian countries by 20 percent as part of moves to protect the endangered species. The agriculture ministry reported the agreement with China, South Korea and Taiwan, reached Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2014 at the end of a meeting on conservation measures for eels. It calls for reducing eel hauls by 20 percent for one year, beginning in November.

    Japan, neighbors agree to moves to protect eels

    Japan has agreed to cut purchases of eel fry from neighboring East Asian countries by 20 percent as part of moves to protect the endangered species.

  • Future of Olympic course unclear after hearing

    The future of the golf course under construction for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016 was unclear Wednesday after the city of Rio and the course developer — both defendants in a lawsuit — failed to agree to changes proposed by a Brazilian court.

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category