With Caleb Sturgis’ injured groin still mending, Dan Carpenter has pounced in the kicking competition.
Carpenter nailed all three field goals he attempted outdoors Sunday, converting from 49, 53 and 54 yards. Even before Sturgis’ injury, Carpenter was at least even, if not ahead, of the rookie fifth-round draft pick.
“I’m not changing anything I’m doing,” Carpenter said. “I’m working just as hard as I was the last two years when no one was here. Nothing’s changed. I’m just going to work and trying to make every kick.”
Well, something has changed. His wife Kaela is due in just a few weeks with the couple’s first child, a boy.
“My wife’s nice and round,” Carpenter said. “Sure she’s happy I said that.”
PLAYS OF THE DAY
• Marvin McNutt had a spectacular grab in traffic. The first-year wide receiver raced across middle of the field, tipped a pass to himself from Ryan Tannehill that was just out of reach, and made the catch without breaking stride.
• Richard Marshall said “hello” to Kyle Miller on a pass over the middle, delivering a forearm shiver that knocked the tight end off his feet. Miller held onto the ball, though.
• Nolan Carroll, who’s fighting for a roster spot among a crowded group of cornerbacks, downed a Brandon Fields punt at the 2-yard line.
• The Dolphins’ intrasquad scrimmage is 7 p.m. Monday at Sun Life Stadium. Joe Philbin said he’s going to “throw a lot” at the team, and use it as a dress rehearsal for Sunday’s Hall of Fame Game.
• Cameron Wake had his best practice of camp, blowing up two plays in the backfield.
• Training camp’s first true fight came Sunday, and it involved Jared Odrick ending up underneath Josh Samuda. The two players later made nice, although Philbin wasn’t pleased with the fracas.
• Pat Devlin’s ascension continues. He got second-team reps Sunday, and was very sharp until his final pass of the day, which Will Davis intercepted for a touchdown. Devlin appears to have a stranglehold on the No. 3 job — at least — with Sunday’s release of Aaron Corp.
Reserve defensive back R.J. Stanford recorded an interception in the end zone.
• U.S. Rep Ted Deutch, the congressman for Florida’s 21st district and avid Dolphins fan, watched Sunday’s practice from the sidelines.
• Sturgis, John Jerry (knee), Jamar Taylor (sports hernia) and Cameron Marshall (hamstring) were held out of practice.
“No. Too much wasted energy.” — Brian Hartline, on if he’s ever been involved in a practice-field fight.
PRACTICE DATES AND TIMES
• Monday: 7 p.m. (at Sun Life Stadium)
• Tuesday: Team is off
• Wednesday: 6 p.m. (at team facility)
• Thursday: 1:30 p.m. (at team facility)
• Friday: 11:30 a.m. (at team facility)
• Saturday: Team is off
• Aug. 4: Preseason game against Dallas in Canton, Ohio. (NBC)
• Aug. 5: Team is off