Miami Heat superstar Dwyane Wade was supposed to make his two boys available to visit their mother for two weeks on Monday but has yet to do so — prompting the ex-wife’s lawyer to wonder if they should have him arrested.
Obviously, D-Wade’s six-year divorce battle is far from over.
As the triple NBA champ’s attorneys in his native Chicago asserted that Wade and his ex-wife reached a financial agreement Monday, his attorneys in Miami were filing an emergency motion to prevent the ex from seeing their children.
And the motion to suspend their time-sharing agreement is scheduled to be heard Tuesday at the main courthouse in downtown Miami.
Wade says ex-wife Siohvaughn Funches is not in the right state of mind to care for the kids.
The filing cites Funches’ strange sit-in protest in front of the Chicago courthouse last week, in which she held a sign accusing Wade of throwing her to the streets.
Word is the children became distraught when they saw the incident on YouTube, which is how Wade found out.
The motion also mentions Funches’ breathing difficulties, which caused a recess during a court hearing over the former lovebirds’ finances in Chicago last week.
While Wade gained full custody last year, Funches sees her sons on a visitation schedule. During the summer vacation, she gets them for two weeks a month, according to records.
But Wade refused to surrender the boys, Zion, 9, and Zaire, 4, to Funches on Monday as planned.
As far as Funches’ attorneys are concerned, the Heat guard is keeping them from her illegally.
Last year, Funches was arrested in Chicago when she showed up with the kids four hours late.
Wade is almost a week late, said Brian Hurst, Funches’ Windy City attorney.
“The entire way that Mr. Wade [is] handling the issues with the children is disturbing to me,” Hurst said.
Funches’ camp is filing a response to Wade’s motion to suspend time-sharing, saying there’s no legal basis for the request and arguing that Funches is no threat to the boys.
What happened to the financial agreement that was to pay Funches $5 million plus to go away, announced with great fanfare Monday? It has yet to be signed.
No comment from Wade’s camp, but stay tuned: This saga will go on.
A tasty event
More than 1,000 supporters of the hunger-fighting nonprofit Share Our Strength joined top South Florida chefs like Allen Susser, Timon Balloo and Michael Schwartz for Thursday’s Taste of the Nation South Florida at the Loews Miami Beach.
In its inaugural year, the event combined the 25-year-old Taste of the Nation Miami and 23-year-old Taste of the Nation Fort Lauderdale into a one-night-only shindig.
Chefs from more than 50 restaurants between Key West and Boca Raton whipped up tiny portions for patrons who paid $125 per to sample hundreds of dishes.
Seen in the crowd: Miami Beach mayoral candidate and comedian Steve Berke, who boasted to be the most famous person at the wingding. (Although, that could’ve been Miami Dolphins lobbyist Ron Book.)
Among participating restaurants: Bianca at the Delano, Casa D’Angelo Fort Lauderdale, Cibo Wine Bar, Daily Melt, Edge at the Four Seasons, Flipany, Gotham, Red, HaVen Gastro Lounge and more.