• MONETIZING YOUR APP: Learn the tricks and trades of various mobile monetization strategies at a workshop at 6:15 p.m. Monday, July 29, at the new Miami Entrepreneurship Center, 261 NE 1st St., 5th Floor. Details: http://www.meetup.com/JoinBEE/
• . GEEK GIRL HAPPY HOUR: WITI South Florida Regional Network’s monthly happy hour will be at 6 p.m. Monday, July 29, at three different Morton’s: the Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton restaurants. Men are welcome, too! Details: http://www.witi.com/southflorida/
• ALL ABOUT IP: Broward SCORE presents a workshop called “Intellectual Property - Patent, Trademarks, & Copyright Law” from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Wednesday, July 31, at Keiser University in Fort Lauderdale. $30 in advance; $40 at door. Details: http://www.broward.score.org (click on Local Workshops.)
• OPEN COFFEE CLUB: Miami’s second Open Coffee Club meetup, hosted by FIU’s Pino Global Entrepreneurship Center and MapYourStartup.co, will be 7:30-9 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 1, at RightSpace2Meet in Coral Gables. One-on-one sessions with mentors Brian Breslin (Refresh Miami), Charles Irizarry (Rokk3r Labs) and Mike Tomas (Bioheart) will be available. Details and to RSVP: entrepreneurship.fiu.edu
• BATTLE HACK MEETUPS: Are you a developer with big ideas for our community? To help you prepare for the upcoming PayPal Battle Hack ($100,000 grand prize), learn about the PayPal API and brainstorm ideas, attend one of these two meetups: Wednesday, July 31, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Nova Southeastern in Davie (details: battlehack-fll.eventbrite.com), or Thursday, Aug. 1, 5:30-7 p.m., at the Beacon Council in Miami (details: battlehack-mia.eventbrite.com)
STARTING GATE BLOG
Keep up with startup news and community views on the Starting Gate blog on MiamiHerald.com/business. Have news to share or want to guest post? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nancy Dahlberg @ndahlberg