“If you look back at all the promotions I’ve had I’ve kind of gone through a little bit of a struggle. I get there and try to do too much instead of just play,” he said. “For the most part I feel comfortable. It’s just a matter of time until I settle in and feel good.”
• Roommates at in Jacksonville, Yelich and Marisnick are currently staying in a hotel here in South Florida. Yelich said it’s likely the rookies will find an apartment to share together in the coming week.
Yelich said he had four friends from California drive more than 20 hours to Denver to come watch him play Thursday. “They left during the rain delay and texted me this morning at 11 o’clock to tell me they made it home,” he said. “Pretty solid friends.”
• Rookie outfielder Marcell Ozuna, expected to miss the rest of the season, had surgery on his left thumb Friday.
Marlins general manager Mike Hill said Ozuna will likely be out six-to-eight weeks before resuming baseball activities. It’s possible Ozuna could play winter ball to prepare himself for the competition in spring training.
• Saturday: Marlins RHP Tom Koehler (2-5, 4.38) vs. Pirates RHP Charlie Morton (2-2, 3.35), 7:10 p.m.
• Sunday: Marlins RHP Jose Fernandez (6-5, 2.74) vs. Pirates RHP Gerrit Cole (5-3, 3.51), 1:10 p.m.
• Scouting report: Koehler, 2-0 with a 2.74 ERA over his past four starts, has never faced Pittsburgh. Morton is 2-3 with a 5.06 ERA in six career starts versus the Marlins.